1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is TMS religious

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by swamitommy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Scientifically speaking, where is the evidence for your statement?

BTW, it's TMS not TSM.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

kchung, there are MANY more medical and psychiatric practitioners in the world, many of them from decades ago, who believe and promulgate mind-body and psychosomatic theories in their practice. Perhaps you would find inspiration by examining their work.

Here are three books that personally influenced me beyond my initial introduction to Dr. Sarno's theories:

Dr. Claire Weekes was practicing and writing in the 1960s - her book Hope And Help For Your Nerves came out years before Dr. Sarno wrote his first book, and it is all about how anxiety causes physical symptoms. Her books and audio programs have helped an untold number of people around the world, and it was the second book I read after The Divided Mind.

Dr. Jerome Groopman, MD, a frequent contributor to The New Yorker, wrote an astonishing book called The Anatomy of Hope, in which he explores the power of our minds to affect our physical condition. His case studies of cancer patients was not easy to read, but he is an extraordinary writer, a compassionate physician, and he looks deeply into this subject. The second section of his book is about his own recovery from chronic back pain, including a failed surgery (he did not see Dr. Sarno or know about TMS at the time) and the third section of his book is an examination of the growing field of research, studies and practices in mind-body theory. He only briefly mentions Dr. Sarno in this section. One field of current research that he examines is the power of the placebo effect. (Too bad Big Pharma will be fighting that tooth and nail).

Dr. Gabor Mate, MD (Canadian) wrote When The Body Says No which includes scientific explanations of the physiological effects of long-term emotional stress and repression. Dr. Mate is also an excellent author and a compassionate healer, and this book blew my mind right open. Dr. Sarno got me started, but it was Dr. Mate who taught me that the power of my mind can create a lifetime of health that goes well beyond recovery from chronic pain.

There is a ton of information and free resources about all three authors online, as well as lots of other resources related to MBS/TMS/PPD - whatever you want to call it. Keep an open mind and try different things, because in this work, one size does NOT fit all.

The great thing about changing your mind is that it costs nothing and it can't hurt to try it.

Cheers, and good luck!

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If tennis is a religion then Roger is God!beerbuds

4. kchung

kchung New Member

Thanks everybody for correcting me and taking the time to explain things to me. Since the question in this post asked if TMS was religious, and have invoked some very interesting discussions, I am under the impression that there might be new comers who would think that this resembles a religious group. I have to say it is not my impression as a new comer. I feel the warm fellowship of the community, and I know it is a group of people who are either suffering or have suffered from chronic pain. They are here to seek help or trying to help fellow "sufferers". Am I correct to say that?

5. kchung

kchung New Member

Oops, it must be Freudian! TSM: the sex maniac

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes indeed, you've got it right! It's that simple. And that awesome.

7. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Glad to hear that... and you ARE very welcome here!!

It's easy in a group setting for certain individuals to make it seem religious or cult like. It's just those particular individuals interpretations and that's what worked for them. Good for them!

But I try to focus on what Dr. Sarno says and he does not bring religion or spirituality into it at all. The "belief" is simply a belief in a diagnosis. It's a psychological thing, not religious.

8. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I have given up on religion a long time ago because of the hypocrisy of many individuals. I don't want to mention any particular faith because that would be bashing. That is against our rules. You can have a great understanding of psychology and physiology and have no religious beliefs or be very religious. Therefore all of us can recover if we are open minded. The other day I sent my college friend all my TMS links because he has a numb leg. He is open minded and I am sure he will benefit. I have another college friend who has had back surgery already. If I sent him info he would just delete it, too bad.