1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dempsey12, Apr 27, 2018.

1. dempsey12

dempsey12 Newcomer

I've just started reading Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain. I'm trying to figure out if what I have is TMS. It sounds like TMS is more about pain. I don't really experience pain. What I experience is muscle tension in my fingers and wrists such that I will get involuntary finger or wrist flexion or extension during such tasks as typing, writing, etc. So for me I wouldn't say there is "pain", but rather dysfunction while attempting to carry out certain motor tasks. I was diagnosed a year ago with hand dystonia, but even the neurologist seemed somewhat baffled because my symptoms don't necessarily reflect the "typical" dystonic patient. Most individuals with dystonia have severe muscle cramping to the extent that certain body parts will go into fixed positions. I don't have that.
    Is TMS limited to feelings of pain? Or can it involve feelings of tension, dysfunction or lack of coordination like what I've experienced?
    The reason I started reading up on TMS is that my symptoms all began a little over a year ago after I had learned several months prior that my 5-year old son has Tourette's Syndrome. It was very stressful on me. I found myself spending half of my days at work on Google reading horror stories about Tourettes. So of course I was a very anxious and stressed out father. Within the first few months, I was having major sleeping problems. I was having myoclonic jerks that would wake me up. I had constant muscle twitches throughout my entire body. Yet tests kept showing that there was nothing serious wrong with me. Over time, the myoclonic jerks and the nerve twitches have greatly reduced. However, the "dystonic" feelings are now being felt in my other hand and wrist as well.
    In summary, I'm wondering if my "dystonia" or dystonic-like symptoms are a result of TMS. I look forward to hearing whether anyone else on here has had similar symptoms. Not pain per se, but what I described above.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

No, TMS is not limited to pain. It can involve just about anything our brain can produce in the body, and usually is something that will distract us the most and have us focus on our body. Have you read Steve Ozanich's book The Great Pain Deception? He lists an incredible number of TMS symptoms, many of which he experienced himself. Keep reading TMS books and information on this site, and you will get a feel for just how varied and individualized TMS can be.

Your story has all the elements of a recipe for TMS, so I think you are in the right place. Move forward with treating your symptoms as TMS, and you will see results. Best wishes....

Jane.Fearless and TG957 like this.