1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is This TMS? YOU Decide...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hopehope, Jul 7, 2014.

1. hopehope

hopehope Newcomer

I was an intense, focused, & driven person. I would work 16 hours a day, do extreme workouts 5 days a week, and that was life. Until one morning after fitness class, my left ankle started hurting. A few months later, it was my right ankle. I was told tendonitis (and later nerve irritation). I saw a chiropractor for my ankle, he worked on my back without me asking him to, and a week later I heard a pop. From that point forward, my lower back has been in pain.

It continued to get worse and there was a 6 week period in which I could hardly walk. I am in pain to this day (its been about a year). When I started walking again, my knees made a pop sound as well, and the pain started up. Slowly but surely, every joint made that popping noise and the same story followed - neck, shoulders, collar-bones, etc

So I saw many doctors. Did lots of test. Everything came back normal. The only "diagnoses" I got was that you have hypermobility, loose joints, etc - so my joints pop/crack/etc and that results in pain - they are essentially unstable. I sort of believe that to some extent, I have a thin/scrawny body but I just can't believe it could happen to so many of my joints.

Is This TMS? YOU Decide...

PS: I also developed frequent urination after my lower back started hurting. I read that it could be a nerve, slip disc, etc - did an MRI and it showed a perfectly normal back. ZERO issues. I figured the chiropractor pushed down on something too hard. I am a young guy (24 years old).

PPS: If the joints didn't constantly pop/crack (which is followed by pain), it would make much more sense that this is TMS. However, the fact that they pop/crack + physical therapy helped a lot... leads me to believe it is structural.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

As I was reading your post, in my mind I was thinking yes -most likely TMS and then the bit about frequent urination, well, that made up my mind. I have read this SO many times on this site, and in a Dr Sarno lecture he states quite clearly that this is a TMS symptom. Anyway you have found the right web-site -you will find the people on here are unbelievably helpful. My thoughts are that you have been pushing yourself far too hard for too many years and your sub-conscious is rebelling. Your body is crying out to give it a break. Why not try to introduce pleasurable treats and nurture your inner child. Take it all slowly, try the SEP on this site and I am sure you will get better. Be kind to yourself.

Gigalos likes this.
  3. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Would just like to add that you look at the post that is on the most recent page about "success story on youtube". It was posted by
    psychosomatic.
    He is a also a young guy, and his story is truely inspirational. I think you will get a lot from it.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I completely agree with Sheree. Only thing I like to say to you: It's not up to us to decide if it is TMS, it's up to you.... ultimately you have to take responsibility for that yourself, we can only give you our opinion.

To add, I am pretty hypermobile myself and yes, I did and sometimes still do experience the popping of knees, shoulders etc. For some reason my joints are much more quiet since my TMS has started to subside. Why? Don't know?? All I know is that it did. Maybe the balance of (minddriven tension) in the surrounding muscles is better? Maybe the fluid levels in the bursae are different? The same goes for knee pain after or during exercise.

5. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

Sounds like TMS to me. I've been dealing urination issues for 7 months. Been applying TMS techniques to help it. :)

6. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

hopehope,

Welcome! Very glad you're here!

I had chronic back pain for 16 years and tennis elbow for a couple of years. Thanks to Dr. Sarno and good folks (like those around here), I've been free of both for about five to six years. First I worked on the back pain and about a year later I worked on the elbow.

In both cases, I tried many different things and saw many doctors. Here's my point: I finally had to get FED UP WITH IT ALL and I made up my own mind that IT WAS TMS!!! Then I got better. It took some time and some work, but I got better.

I'm not a doctor and I have no business telling you whether what you have is TMS. Like others have said, it certainly sounds like it could be TMS.

Unfortunately, there are very few doctor's around that will tell you either. So again, it's usually a decision you have to make yourself. Just make sure that you have been thoroughly examined by regular doctors and there are no serious underlying medical conditions (diabetes, cancer, gout, etc.).

Best of luck to you!! :) We'd love to have you join the club!