1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS pain?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Jul 29, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

It's me again... I had a thought last week that I had beaten TMS. I've had this thought several times and it seems like every time I do, my back pain shows up again. I'm 6 months pregnant also. I've been running consistently for the past 11 weeks with rarely any pain and feeling pretty decent. Well today during my run, I got sciatic pain on the opposite side as my back pain usually shows up. I'm trying to tell myself that it's TMS, but due to pregnancy, I'm doubting some. It's a really annoying pain! I've worked really hard over the past several months to overcome fear and try to achieve outcome independence and have done a decent job with the "usual" pain, but this new pain, I'm having lots of "what ifs." I need some external reassurance and confidence that this is TMS and that it won't be here forever!!

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

@COgirl05 I wonder if this new pain should be treated as TMS or not. I mean how about just thinking of this new pain as your body telling you to slow down a bit especially since u r pregnant. It may be easier to get rid of it if u think of it as such rather than tagging it TMS.

Good luck.

Mala

3. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Dear COgirl05,

I would encourage you to have confidence that the pain won't be there forever. I don't know and would not be able to tell you if it is TMS or not. Consulting with a doctor seems like a wise step you could take. If it is TMS, you have succeeded with it before and you should have a lot of confidence that you will succeed again. We all with TMS tend to expect a lot from ourselves and put a lot of pressure on ourselves. Once I became attuned to this, I was shocked by how frequently I pressure myself (i.e., it starts before I even get out of bed in the morning!). It sounds ambitious to continue running through your last trimester of pregnancy. As you know all too well, a woman's body goes through many changes - physical and emotional - during and after pregnancy. So, I would encourage you to be gentle with yourself and think about all the hard work your body and mind are going through to nourish and develop another human being. Thinking of you, Sunny

David88 likes this.
  4. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Mala and SunnyinFL - Thank you for your kind responses. The pain is feeling mostly better today, so I have no idea what it is either. It has popped up a handful of times during this pregnancy and is unlike the other TMS pain. I realized that I was putting pressure on myself to run until the day I delivered to help not gain as much weight and that whole song and dance. I have decided that I am done running - I was not enjoying it anyways and it was a chore that I did 3 days a week. It didn't feel good anymore being 25 weeks pregnant. I was proud of myself for doing it, but not actively enjoying it. I think I'm going to stick to just walking and enjoying the outdoors. I just need to remember not to fear. My brain sends alarm bells with new back pain - something that I've worked hard to overcome, but obviously still have work to do!

David88 likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Cogirl, I've never been pregnant. Men seldom get that TMS symptom. haha. But I think you have come to the best solution to your dilemma about whether to keep running each day or not. I think at this stage of your pregnancy, it's best for you to just take a walk and enjoy the outdoors. You can run again after the baby is born and you can put him or her in one of those strollers and push it and run behind it. Look forward to that time and you won't feel any pain. You're a lucky lady. God is blessing you.

6. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi COgirl, It sounds like you are in touch with the wisdom of your body and have come to peace with a new plan for your exercise - good for you! I understand your fears and also your concerns about gaining weight that you mentioned. Life - and pregnancy - are full of so many emotions, up and down. Pregnancy is a fascinating process with a blend of emotions - it's scary and exciting, awe-inspiring and miserable, etc, etc, etc. Although it's so exciting to start a new phase of life, it's also scary - there will be many changes, there may be some stresses, and there will certainly be joy, too! It sounds like you asked your body what it needed and you have listened - both are wonderful techniques to use to cope both with TMS and other life journeys. Congrats on your great insight and best wishes!