1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this another reoccurrence of TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by heidicat27, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. heidicat27

heidicat27 New Member

Hello! It's been a while since I've really struggled with TMS. I've been dealing with lower back pain/sciatica/piriformis syndrome on and off for a few years, but I've been doing very well until recently.

Now I think it has moved to my shoulder, but I'm not sure! Here's the story:

I was doing burpees in early December, and coming down to the ground I felt pain in my upper bicep and it spread to my shoulder. I "limped" through the rest of the workout and went home. A few days later, my shoulder mostly felt fine again, just some tenderness in the upper bicep. I was careful lifting weights and exercising with it for the rest of December until the holidays. I "rested" over the holidays hoping that the should pain would completely disappear.

Well, it pretty much did until the first day back at the gym. I remember I did not want to go to the gym that day and as the hours ticked away at work and I was ready to drive over to the gym, but shoulder/upper bicep started hurting. That told me it might be TMS so I went anyway! I had some pain throughout the workouts but it wasn't bad.

Thinking I needed to rule out an injury, I went to the physical therapist a few weeks ago. The PT concluded that I had some upper bicep tendonitis and slight shoulder impingement. Pretty minor, right? He gave me some exercises to incorporate into my workouts and did manual therapy on my shoulder.

Well, it's been a few weeks and I'm still dealing with it. Could this be TMS? Over the weekend, my shoulder actually didn't hurt too much, but guess what? My left side of my lower back started acting up! I was limping around the house at night, but it would go away as soon as I got to work. It would flare up again when I got ready for the gym. So, I hopped on the treadmill and ran my fastest mile yet, did squats, lunges, everything I could do to just tell my brain to stop playing tricks with me. And it worked.... but then the shoulder pain came back.

This really makes me think that I have TMS manifested in my shoulder. I mean it's been at least 6 weeks since the burpee incident. I could do push-ups, bicep curls, military press, etc. just fine on Tuesday at the gym, although I did take it slow. Yesterday, both shoulders were sore but the right one just felt sorer so I'm a little up in the air to call it TMS. I woke up this morning feeling great until I started thinking about my shoulder and testing it out to see if it was still sore. Now it is mid-morning and the pain is more persistent, but here I am worrying about it.

So now I feel like this: If my shoulder doesn't hurt, my back hurts and vice versa. How the heck do I get over this? It's funny, I think I first experienced TMS with plantar fasciitis at a job that required me to be on my feet. I also loved hiking and anything that required me to be standing or walking, so it was insanely frustrating to have foot pain. Then I got over that and started running. I started to love running and was sidelined with back/glute pain. Now I'm over that (for the most part) and have taken up muy thai/kickboxing. And guess what? My right shoulder starts hurting and that's the body part I use for my power punches!

And to top it off, this shoulder pain began when I was setting a 2019 goal to do 10 unassisted pull-ups to beef up my shoulders. AND my boss found out and he's setting up a schedule to do pull-ups with me twice a week at work.

Whew! That's a lot going on, but I'd really appreciate some advice here. I feel like I'm at the point where I can start to recognize TMS, but I cannot permanently get over it. So frustrating! Where should I go from here?