1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

is therapy needed to recover from tms quicker?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DaveNY1, Nov 18, 2013.

1. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

do most people who have gone through tms healing do it on their own through the work they do/ program? or is it better to have a therapist and do the program at the same time?

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I personally think it depends on the individual. Lots and lots of people have healed without seeing a therapist. For me, working with a therapist has been invaluable. I have had the most help from working with a Somatic Experiencing therapist, but I am not sure I would have even thought to look for a Somatic Experiencing therapist without the progress I made working with a TMS therapist first. Perhaps I would have gotten there eventually on my own(I did Unlearn Your Pain and the Structured Education Program as well). I don't know, I am just so grateful that the work and persistence is starting to pay off(it has been about seven months).

Ellen likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I have just begun the acceptance ... and I have found a potential talk-therapist. She is open-minded, but not overly experienced in chronic pain issues. Mostly I wish to understand how to safely channel emotions rather than turning them quickly inward. She is willing to by my sounding board and offer her opinions. This is really all I am seeking at the moment. Someone to just ... hear me.

Your choices will depend on what you feel you need.

This forum is amazingly helpful and supportive. I think you will find alot here.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I didn't use a therapist, just read Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, and Dr. Brady.
    I saw a therapist years ago about anxiety and he was not much help at all.
    He never got into repressed emotions or how our childhood can give us TMS,
    He never knew about TMS. But if you spend some time with TMS healing techniques
    and find no improvement, maybe consider a phone call to a therapist, preferable
    one who knows about TMS. It may be because you don't believe 100 percent
    in TMS. It has to be, as Steve says, "All or nothing."