1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is the SEP done for each new symptom?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Marytabby, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Hi,
    I completed the SEP for a bladder condition in September and I got relief. Now I have new symptoms in my hip and a long-standing knee pain issue that I have not successfully been free of yet. MRIs of both the knee and now the hip show nothing out of the usual age related changes (I'm 50) so I am going to continue approaching it with TMS. Would a person do the SEP over and over for each new symptom that arises? What's the standard way of doing the program when you have success but then something new pops up? Should I keep doing SEP over and over and over?
    Thanks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Marytabby. I don't think you have to do the SEProgram for each symptom. You apparently convinced your subconscious that a repressed emotion caused your bladder problem to go away. You may not have discovered other emotions that cause your other symptoms. You got good news, that your hip and knee pain are not structural, so just do some journaling to see what emotions may cause them.

TMS is an on-going thing. New stresses may come along, or they may trigger old emotions, so when new pain comes along, we may just have to journal about their emotional causes. Good luck and be glad and grateful that TMS has relieved your bladder problem. Have a great day!

3. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Thanks, Walt. Well, actually, my knee MRI shows cartilage wearing and the response from 2 TMS docs in my area is that it's BOTH structural and TMS. That was some help, but not 100%. Then the MRI of my hip last week shows a labrum tear which of course, was explained to me as a being a structural problem by the chiropractor who ordered it. I did not go to a TMS doc for the hip, because every time I go to the 2 TMS docs in my area, I can never get a straight answer from them one way or the other. They say "it could be TMS" or "it's worth trying the TMS approach and see how you do." So I am not going to the TMS doc for this hip. He will be wishy washy as usual. I am choosing to assume TMS on my own.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mary. You made the same decisions I would make. Just believe the pain is TMS and see how it goes.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Marytabby, I agree with everything Walt said.

I never bothered getting a TMS diagnosis for my many symptoms, and I also never went far enough with traditional treatment to end up getting any MRIs. You can read my profile story to see how many different symptoms I had, and how I ended up diagnosing myself with TMS. I'm a life-long anxiety hog, which is something I still struggle with, but I haven't had a panic attack in five years (since I discovered Dr. Sarno, read Claire Weekes, and did the SEP), the majority of my symptoms disappeared and never came back, and I am able to control most of the others when they crop up during times of stress, by practicing mindfulness and/or some sort of self-discovery through meditation or writing.

The condition that we conveniently call TMS is a primitive brain mechanism that exists in every single human being who ever lived. One issue is that thanks to modern medicine, so many of us live far longer than nature intended. Another issue is that thanks to modern society in general, most human beings are living in relative, if not complete, safety and security compared to our primitive ancestors, so we don't have day-to-day survival issues to distract us from the negative emotions that our primitive brains think are so dangerous. That's when the TMS mechanism kicks in to distract us with physical symptoms.

As Dr. Sarno explained (and explains again so well in the new film All The Rage) your TMS brain takes these normal aging conditions, which your docs agree are not dire or life-threatening, and it creates pain around them because they offer a convenient point of distraction. You have the ability to relieve that pain by convincing your brain that it isn't necessary.

I would recommend scanning the SEP exercises to be reminded of which ones resonated with you. My view of the SEP is that it introduces us to many different ways to do this work, and that we take with us the ones that work for us, because we are all so different. Some form of writing is usually extremely helpful, as is some form of affirmations or self-talk, along with some form of meditation or mindfulness.

Re-reading one of Dr. Sarno's books is also a good place to go. But beyond Dr. Sarno, there are many many books and audio resources out there, recommended by the contributors to this forum. Just put "book recommendations" in the search box at the upper-right of this screen, and you'll get pages and pages of posts on that very topic. Pick something that appeals to you, because not everything will. For example, I am a pragmatist, and steer clear of resources that are spiritually oriented - but other people find enormous healing strength in the works of spiritual healers and leaders.

Good luck!

~Jan

6. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Thanks, I will try some of your suggestions. Been at this for 11 years now. I'm getting kind of sick of doing these exercises OVER and OVER! I have had a lot of symptoms over the years. One goes away and another comes on. Whack a mole. I ordered Unlearn Your Pain this week as well.