1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is OCD treatment effective?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kiml, Oct 6, 2017.

1. kiml

kiml Newcomer

Hi, I am a 21-year-old. All my friends are beauty conscious. I am the only one in my gang who is less bothered about my appearance. I care about clothing but I give less priority to my facial appearance. I have a tendency of picking skin from my face and from the side of the nails. But one day my boyfriend noticed it and warned me not to do it again. But I am not able to stop that activity. If I didn't pluck the skin I feel like something is imperfect there. So I keep on plucking the skin. I want to stop this habit because I am loosing friends. I discussed this matter with my friend. One of them suggested that it may be because I am suffering from a kind of OCD. So I searched about OCD treatments and found an OCD treatment center in Toronto. I have scheduled an appointment with the clinic. Will this be an expensive treatment? Should I take the medicines for this or just psychotherapy will do? Is the medication sedative? How long will be the treatment? Please give me genuine replies as soon as possible.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

OCD is TMS--are you familiar with what TMS is all about? Have you read a TMS book by Dr. Sarno? One of the notables that Dr. Sarno cured of TMS is Howard Stern--the "king of all media"--Howard acknowledges him in his autobiography. Dr. Sarno also "cured" Mrs. Robinson, of "The Graduate", Anne Bancroft of her TMS symptoms.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Kiml,

This site is devoted to those who believe they suffer from TMS, as described by Dr. John Sarno. He wrote four books on the subject, and in his later books he introduced the idea that certain emotionally-based conditions, such as depression, anxiety, and OCD, might also fit the definition of TMS.

Before anyone can engage in a productive discussion on our forum, it's essential that every member read at least one of his books. I would probably recommend The MindBody Prescription. Many public libraries carry his books, and they are all available on Amazon: new, used, or electronic.

Most of us aren't health or therapy professionals - we are here to support each other and exchange ideas and techniques for recovering from TMS.

Good luck.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Calm down first. You are on the right track here and hey, you even made an appointment to do something about it. There is no need to decide right away to follow their treatment. It is not that you will die from OCD if you give yourself some time first to contemplate things.
    I say, go read a TMS book first as suggested by Tom and Jan.

Once you know the basics of TMS, here are my personal answers:
    Therapy is probably expensive, yes, but why don't you ask them? If they want to fix it with drugs, I suggest you think twice about following their treatment. I read they apply CBT (cognitive behavior therapy). Maybe that alone can do the trick for you, don't know honestly but I have my doubts. OCD is TMS according to our believes. It involves emotions, becoming aware and accepting them as the cause for your symptoms. So I feel emotional awareness and acceptance should be a significant part of their treatment plan.
    (Psycho)therapy is always preferred over medicine, because you won't become dependent on drugs and therapy can give the same or better long-lasting improvement on many fronts. People tend to prefer quick pills over having to face their own thoughts and emotions, which is a shame really. Sometimes medicine is necessary depending on the severity of the problems, but I feel they are often prescribed too easily without contemplating some kind of therapy first.
    Medication will probably have a host of common and less common side-effects. I suggest you do some reading about them. Often anti-depressants are prescribed for OCD and I can tell you from my own experience that they can be pretty bad. I felt like a zombie, gained 30lb, sweated a lot... I didn't like it as you can imagine.
    Treatment is different for every person. There is no way to say how long it will take, whatever route you take.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

you loosing your friends because you plucking your skin? It that were me, I don't need those friends.

Tennis Tom likes this.