1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is my crooked back trying to make me believe it’s structural?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Zuz, May 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

I am in one week of this. I have 20 years of back pain and scans that say I have a couple of hernias etc.
    But with all the other symptoms and ups and down I really think it’s alot ofTMS...
    So in three days of completely locking my back I got so much better. And then BANG it’s 72 hours of worse pain. My back muscles are so horribly tight and pull my back completly crooked.
    It just occured to me: my crazy mind is trying to convince me it IS structural since all can SEE I am physically crooked ?
    I have a problem of overthinking everything so I decided to use this at my advantage for once

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Ouch! Do you have scoliosis by any chance?

3. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

I used to ten years ago (after ten years of back pain I had xrays). I had TONS of regular osteopathy since to keep me walking. The last scans ( last December) did not say anything about scoliosis this time, now it’s like 5 hernias, two worse ones ( that scared my family doctor that I could paralyze if I lift something... but a chiropractor did not seem that alarmed and that gives me hope) and disc degeneration.

4. FredAmir

I suspected scoliosis when when mentioned the crooked back. If that is no longer the issue, it seems that muscles on one side are contracting and not the other. The imbalance can cause the crookedness. Is it TMS? That's possible.

As far as herniated discs and disc degeneration, according to the American College of Physicians Best Practices Advice, spinal abnormalities are not responsible for back pain. Here is a post I wrote about it.

American College of Physicians: Spinal Abnormalities Are Normal (fredamir.com)

So no worries on that front. Perhaps doing some mental and muscle relaxation can help.

5. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Thank you so much :). I feel it is TMS. I have so many other symptoms and so much stress since childhood, it fits too well. It’s very reassuring to read things like that, it helps with the arguments with my freaky voice inside!
    I am much less in panic after only one week of trying things :). I got really better and now many different symptoms just spike up for the last three days. I am suspecting like an extension burst ? of my brain who is used to feed loads and loads of fear all day every day for like thirty years or more. I am starting to relax in my mind.
    i think my body does not know anymore how to relax. These back muscles have been holding to ‘protect my back’ for a little over twenty years: bigger half of my life. I am telling them it was a false alarm but I understand if it takes them awhile to learn how to let go a bit. It’s so new!
    Usually, a glass and half of wine ( i never take more) with dinner really helps to relax them - I noticed that after dinner dates with my now husband nine years ago. My back would relax and not hurt after our dinner with wine!! That really helped me in my ‘evidence’ that it is TMS :).
    But I just had my vaccine today so I am avoiding alcool, even in small doses for the last three days and for another two. So I am trying relaxing with my mind and breathing but it will take some learning. A life of scaring myself hahaha, at least I definitely notice every time I scare myself now and go back reassuring my body that it’s a false alarm.

tank you again :). I have seen your video which I found very ‘American’ and funny but very inspiring :). I adjusted it to me and i do repeat to myself I love my life and that I feel good and that my back is healthy many times a day. Smiling is easier!

6. FredAmir

7. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

since my back decided to go back to square one and completly block ( i think added inflammation over the painful stiffness of the last few days) i am again back at just lying down and thinking and reading. So I will definitively listen to these a few times.
    Thank you again! I feel pretty down this morning as it all got worse instead of improving but that will bring me back a glimpse of hope.

8. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

i think the second link is the same lady for relaxation than the first link? Not your post about overcoming the negative effects?

9. FredAmir

10. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Thank you, it works now!
    Twenty years ago I really understand why my pain started. I was doing looooootttsss of mistakes from my past.
    However, after ten years of working on it my preset life is ful pf healthy relationships and beautiful, just as I would dream it.
    Except for the pain... and relationships with parents are much better but can still drain me ... definitively I need to dig deeper what is still there that keeps the pain coming back and yelling at me. Thank you :)

11. Karenb

Karenb Newcomer

Hi Fred I've been diagnosed with Scoliosis due to muscle spasm by a pyscial thearpist not via Xray. Xray was clear and also diagnosed only by a pyscial thearpist with facet joint dysfunction again did not show up on Xray. I've done 4 TMS tests and passed them all. I guess my question is Can I still have TMS based on these diagnoses. I've suffered with back pain for 17 months now. Only get temporary relief from pyscial thearpy.

Kind regards

12. FredAmir

Can you please clarify this statement "I've done 4 TMS tests and passed them all."

13. Karenb

Karenb Newcomer

I mean the pain tests for TMS on various websites

14. Karenb

Karenb Newcomer

Also I've applied some off the TMS stuff over the last two weeks and can now sit most off the day and go out in the car etc just by telling my mind I'm safe I'm safe I've also quit pyscial thearpy as Dr Sano states in his book. I just wonder cause so many success stories or to do with slipped discs etc and not facet joint dysfunction I'm doubting myself.

Thanks

FredAmir likes this.
  15. FredAmir

Hi Karen,

Good job taking control. If you stay with a plan for slow but steady progress toward complete recovery, then those doubts and fears will go away as your confidence builds, regardless of diagnosis.

If you haven’t already, watch my interview with Omar Pinto where I explain my Nine -Step Rapid Recovery Plan. Take notes, design your own recovery plan, review it daily, and you will see continues progress.

As for scoliosis, a mild case usually is painless. However, I had a client where the spine had twisted so much that ribs were pushing into the internal organs and her back muscles were bulging out. Fortunately, she found a good physical therapist who specialized in treating it.

16. Karenb

Karenb Newcomer

OK great thank you Fred. I will double check my Scoliosis out with a thearpist and make sure it isn't causing my problems.

Kind regards