1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is MultiTasking TMS .. can multitasking be hindrance to TMS recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Aug 12, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

Is MultiTasking TMS ..
    I have this habit of changing my browser every 15 secs and checking on the other browsers for news, FB and Twitter. Then I come back to actual window where I want to be.

When I watch TV I continuously check my mobile. Its same at work too.

While I journal I hardly spend 10 mins and then I move to something totally different and come back again.

I never live in present moment.

Are these habits TMS, can multitasking be hindrance to TMS recovery

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Indi,
    I am no expert, but I think the answer is yes. I have always been a great multitasker, when what I really am is scattered. I see now that I have been running ahead of myself since I was a teen, or younger. I am finding mindfulness meditation very hard and a huge difference in my whole life. I am experiencing being present and also recognising when I am not. It is really amazing to me. I know I have been distracting myself for years.

Again, I don't know, but from my experience I am finding as I heal emotionally I am not multitasking as much, slowing down my world. I think rather than hindering recovery it is changed by recovery.
    Lizzy

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Multitasking increases beta which increases tension, but even worse it's the opposite of being mindful. You can't be aware of body and mind united if you're thinking about past and future. Be present, as it is said, the present is a gift.

Healing requires being in the moment, holding the moments of the day longer in your mind's eye. It also breaks the minute by minute stranglehold the mind has on the body obsession. Within the present fear cannot exist.

I began to heal when I stopped trying to reach all my goals every day. It's a controlling personality that needs to let some control go.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Steve. I think multi-tasking or obsessive behaviour of any nature can definitely be a hindrance to recovery. The realty is, we all live in a society which drives us to be a success and over achieve, with technology supposedly meant to be an aid to improve efficiency but driving us further away from being present.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

We live in an age of multitasking and it's hard not to be sucked into it, but it's a real bad habit.
    I find myself sometimes even doing other things while I'm saying the rosary or watching Sunday Mass on TV.
    I need to stop that and live in the moment. Multitasking makes us nervous, as Steve says.

I am a writer of books so I have to be on the computer a lot for research and writing, but I know it has made me more jumpy.
    Especially when the computer isn't working right. Then I hate technology.

And I am still a perfectionist, which isn't good. I just wanted to stop writing this and move the first line in the last paragraph one space left
    so the margins lined up correctly. But when I realized that, I decided not to make that change. It was giving in to my perfectionism
    and I have vowed not to do that. So who cares if all three of these paragraphs do not line up exactly? If you do, you are as bad a
    perfectionist as I am. Have a good and imperfect day. And don't multitask. It's like a drug. Avoid it.

My favorite author is F. Scott Fitzgerald but I disagree with him when he said: "The test of a real first-class intelligence is to be able to keep
    two opposing thoughts in the mind at the same time." Talk about mental multi-tasking! No wonder the poor guy took to drink. Haha.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Darn it...

Lizzy likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

My darling dog Annie doesn't multitask and is the most relaxed creature I know.
    When she eats, she eats. When she naps, she naps. When we play together, we are both in the moment.

Multitasking is the age we live in. But we don't have to. Thanks for the psychology today link.
    I'll take a look now.

So the link says that multi-tasking is really switch-tasking. I feel somehow better knowing that, and I guess I knew that all along.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

And come to think of it, I never was much good at rubbing my tummy while rubbing the top of my head.

So we kids were multitasking and didn't know it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I would live more in the present moment in Chicago except that the present moment and the past week and week ahead are to be
    90 degrees and very humid. I melt and can hardly breathe in such weather, so I am living more in thinking about cooler autumn.

Lizzy likes this.
  11. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

Thanks all