1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is morning stiffness normal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jun 19, 2016.

?

Is all over body morning stiffness normal?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2016.
  1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, as we age this is normal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, this is a TMS symptom.

83.3%
  1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Is waking up to all over body stiffness normal after 40?

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I would say no , but get checked by your dr

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Not wanting to throw more information your way but have you heard of Thomas Hanna? He was a student of Moshe Feldenkrais who went on to create a healing system called Somatics. In a very small nutshell he believed that a lot of the pains and postural problems we experience are due to over stimulation of the fight/flight system which over time leads to somatic motor amnesia in the brain.

His work comprised of a set of exercises designed to reawaken this knowledge. You'll find demonstrations of him on youtube, and also various people who embrace it around other practices such as yoga.

He had a very positive and life-enhancing view of ageing, very much focused on how like a good wine maturity renders us quite exquisite. This I like and choose to believe in.

In the end there are enough sage voices to counter all the negative cultural memes. Sarno is a 'cut to the chase' kinda fella and I respect that. It's taken me a while to really *get* where he is at. It is an epiphany but once you have that bone-deep wisdom it all falls beautifully into place. Meantime keep the faith.

mike2014 and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I had significant stiffness every morning for over a decade due to tms. Once I knew what it was and fully accepted it, it went. I do not wake up stiff anymore and I am much more free with my body. I exercise much more which I also think helps.

plum likes this.
  5. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

6. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

7. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

yes, gorgeous with frumpled hair and morning breathe!

8. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

9. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

No, morning pain and stiffness is not "normal," even after 40 or 50. I'm 55 (actually had to stop and think about that for a minute!), and I'm in better shape than I've been in my entire life. This is summer break for me, and I'm doing Zumba and swimming 2-3x/week, walking, hiking, and doing yoga. Life is good! But for many years I dealt with a baseline of pain every second of every day. I remember it all too well, and am very grateful for what I have now.

Steve J. likes this.
  10. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

Wow, thank you! I've just watched a couple of his videos and found it difficult to focus on anything apart from his face. How am I supposed to sleep right now? And it's 1:00 AM already.

11. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Every morning I wake up to my hands feeling like they are filled with a mix of epoxy and sand, so stiff they are: from middle of the forearms to fingers. Similar but not as bad in my ankles. Stiffness sometimes gets better by the end of the day, but my hands have not been the same for 9 months. Add pain, clumsiness, loss of dexterity - you get the picture: TMS it is, no doubts about it!