1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is medication forever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Dec 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I have extreme ocd ruining my life. I can’t do a lot of things without overthinking. Heck, everything I make I probably overthink.

I’m scared to take medication because of things I heard. Is this a forever thing?

I cant function well right now.

I also have way too many mental things going on as well.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't have any expertise in OCD or the drugs that are used to treat it. I hope you have a trusted health care professional you can discuss this with.

But I believe, and Dr. Sarno stated this, that sometimes medication can be helpful, especially if you're not functioning well. Obviously, you need to be very careful with any medication that is addictive.

I can sense your distress and hope you are able to find some support. I have had bouts of overthinking and know it is very difficult. It's like having your head full of loud static. I wish you peace.

Cap'n Spanky and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

Personally, I wouldn’t be able to participate in any of the TMS work that I’m doing without medication. I look at medication as a tool to help me get better, rather than a permanent thing.

I do weekly phone check-ins with a Psychiatrist Assistant. If you are apprehensive about taking meds, I would discuss these concerns with a professional. I think it’s a very common concern, and a good professional will discuss options without pressuring you either way.

I wish you the best.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. stevow7

Sadly Im on meds and the thoughts comes because I dont know how to properly deal with them

5. stevow7

I just dont know how to properly deal with them even with meds

6. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

For the past 6 months I have been struggling badly. I’m doing meds, TMS coaching, psychotherapy, doctor appointments, and only in the last week did I start feeling a little relief.

I would just say try to use all the help available and make it your goal to stay resilient. You might feel like there is no solution, but it will come. We’re here for a reason.

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

8. michaelg21

michaelg21 Peer Supporter

I have experienced, and sometimes continue to experience phases of sensory motor OCD and health OCD. Trying to “deal with” or refute thoughts never worked and doesn’t aren’t to work for many. OCD and it’s symptoms (obsessive/stuck thoughts, rumination) take orders from beliefs. Ultimately, working on my beliefs through total unconditional acceptance is what got me to a much better place where I function completely fine day to day, occasionally experience phases of “stuck thoughts” or increased focus on physical sensations, but I no longer fear the thoughts or the sensations and they don’t bother me and they fade away. Over time these phases have also become less frequent and last less and less time.

All I can suggest is that you use medication if you need to, but don’t view it as a positive or a negative thing. Just think of it as something to help you out right now, and something you will continue to use until such a time as you don’t need it. In the meantime, work on cultivating a mindset of total, unconditional life acceptance. Reaching a point of acceptance helped me truly face my fear of the worst case scenario (having OCD and being stuck for the rest of my life), and once I was able to make peace with that, OCD lost its grip.

map76 and JanAtheCPA like this.