1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Journalling really required?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kalyan860, Apr 17, 2021.

1. kalyan860

kalyan860 New Member

Alan's programs are not big on journaling. They are mostly about conquering fear and stopping negative thoughts such as pressure, criticism and symptom acceptance.
    Maybe Sarno was wrong about journalling? Didnt TMS theory evolve since him?
    Also the so called neural retraining programs like DNRS, Gupta etc which fibromyalgia, POTS , CFS patients use do not use any journalling but they teach the very same aspects as in Alanl's programs like symptom acceptance, stopping fear, preoccupation, negative thoughts etc.

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Kalyan,

I see all these modalities as tools and use the ones that work best for me.

Journaling has not worked for me. So I do not do it. But I know people for whom journaling really helps.

So see what works for you and do it.

On the broader perspective, as TMSers, let’s be flexible in our approach. Rigidity leads to tension.

birder and Baseball65 like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have NOT read every word Sarno wrote, but I don't remember him ever prescribing journaling. I was and am a "Healing Back Pain" fundamentalist with a minor in 'Mindbody prescription'. I was always under the impression that journaling evolved later.

I am not a journaler and I have been pain free for 22 years this spring. I DO make lists of stressors and thing I am angry about if I get a warning shot of discomfort (almost any mystery pain is TMS). After doing it so long, just looking at the amount of stress I am under is sufficient to arrest an outbreak BUT I only got that skill after a few years of work..... writing it on paper is mostly effective at getting some perspective on how we walk around repressing anger all of the time and aren't really aware of it. THAT understanding is what Sarno said was important... however you can get that understanding is up to each individual.

birder, Ellen and FredAmir like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think Sarno recommended "writing an essay" at times.

Obviously journaling is not required to recover, as many people state on this Forum that they have never journaled and fully recovered. I find it a useful tool at times to help me look more objectively at the thoughts that are swirling inside my head. When put on paper, I can better see patterns and associations in my psyche.

miffybunny and birder like this.
  5. birder

birder Well known member

I'm working through the SEP, and when there's a journaling assignment I kind of roll my eyes and am all like, "Do I have to?" But lots of times I start out in one place and end up going in a direction that's completely unexpected and surprisingly eye-opening. So there's that. Plus, if you're a "goodist" as so many of us are, the Unsent Letter format can really allow us to rant and cuss and leave it all on the table. And that can be a huge relief.

miffybunny likes this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is all about how you define journaling. Journaling as a regular writing exercise actually made it worse for me. Being a perfectionist, I freaked out if my journal entry was not up to my standards. But what helped me a lot was posting on this forum. Getting my thoughts out on a spur of the moment or by answering questions was extremely helpful.

Ellen, FredAmir and miffybunny like this.