1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is it TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jane2, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jane2

Jane2 New Member

I've been doing the Structured education for a month and am more confused than ever:) Somedays I think I have TMS and am making progress. Other days I limp along (literally) and am in pain and wonder if bilateral hip replacement is something I should be considering. My diagnosis is advanced arthritis and the doctor I saw gave me information on hip replacement and cortisone injections. I'd rather not go that route. I haven't found a TMS doctor in Albuquerque. So I've been looking through the forums for information on arthritis and TMS. Some think it is TMS and others think it is structural. How can I know for sure? I eagerly went back to doing all the things I love - gardening, hiking, bicycling..even if it seems to bring on a lot of pain. I so want my old life back. I want it to be TMS but I'm having lots of doubts about whether it is. The arthritis diagnosis is depressing but I wonder if I am fooling myself thinking that it's not the cause of my pain? I'd love to hear your experiences with arthritis.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jane!

I don't personally have experience with arthritis myself but a lot of people on this forum do and could tell you a bit about their healing. Like back pain, there isn't a strong correlation with a painful joint and stage of arthritis. Some people have terrible pain but only mild arthritis while others' x-rays show severe joint space narrowing but they have no pain. I definitely think this could be TMS-caused pain. The doubt in the diagnosis is likely preventing your from progressing. Most people have arthritis when they're over a certain age but pain is not inevitable.

3. Jane2

Jane2 New Member

Thank you. That is very encouraging. I definitely have more pain when I'm stressed and days when I feel really good. I