1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to use PT?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Livinginhope, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Livinginhope

Livinginhope Peer Supporter

HI. I have been getting a lot of relief lately and have increased my walking up to 3.2 miles a day. Since I saw the ortho doc, who said I didn't have any major structural damage things have definitely improved. He did say, however, that what I did have was coming from my sacroiliac joint. I have decided to do a few minor PT exercises for that. The difference this time is that it is actually helping. In the past, I went to a PT, had all kinds of elaborate routines and nothing worked. Now, I do a few of my own, at home, exercises and I am good to go. Does that mean that I have bought into the structural versus the psychological? In my mind, I don't feel that way because I am entering into this realizing that it is not something major and a bit of tweaking helps.

Lily Rose likes this.
  2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

You are doing perfectly! Life is not absolutes, even TMS. PT exercises are often really yoga-based motions with a more 'medical' cloak. We are meant to move. Ideally, our daily activities involve lots of 'natural' motions, including tipping our heads back to marvel at the towering Trees, or crouching to observe the antics of a small creature. Body motion, no matter what label of action it carries, is crucial. Tai Chi, Qi Qong, Yoga, Poi Spinning, Dancing (which can be as slow and dreamy or as energetic and heart-pounding as you wish), walking (which means parking in a far spot in the lot, taking the stairs instead of elevator, etc), or simply raising your arms joyfully towards the night sky. Just ... move. Move in ways that makes you feel good inside. And while people may suggest this or that, find your own motions and listen to the intricate knowledge that is already within you.

Everything we experience matters. The food we eat, the people we surround ourselves with, the air we breathe. All of it becomes part of us and does effect our body tremendously. We do not heal purely in the isolation of our thoughts. Healing is about connecting with the authentic, and about sharing and receiving energies.

Many things are psychosomatic (If you are embarrassed, you blush ... emotion to physical manifestation). And many things are not psychosomatic (lifting weights can cause soreness as the muscle fibers are being torn down and scarring to create bigger muscles ... this is physical).

So much time and effort is spent on trying to figure out what is what. I see many posts dissecting so many variations on these beliefs, and even some heated exchanges.

This is when I retreat to simplicity. Treat all my pain with love and compassion. If the injury is non-TMS, it will heal, and it will heal faster when you apply this loving-kindness to yourself. If it drifts into chronic, the same applies. Treat yourself with that deep loving-kindness, and it, too, will heal.

This becomes a win-win, without the need to analyze everything, which creates its own anxiety cycle.

We all want validation, but sometimes we may not always get it. This does not mean you are wrong. Your experiences are yours. Seeking advice is always fine. Picking and choosing what resonates with you ... that is crucial.

I am very partial to this particular breathing practice:
    Inhale: self acceptance
    Exhale: anything that isn’t

Inhale: forgiveness

Inhale: trust

Inhale: peace

Inhale: presence

Inhale: love
    (Tanya Markul/Thug Unicorn)

And remember, You are LOVED <3

.... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

MindBodyPT, Ellen and plum like this.
  3. Livinginhope

Livinginhope Peer Supporter

What a lovely response. Thank you so much for your gentleness of spirit.

Lily Rose and plum like this.
  4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Great response, Plum! I love that approach to things. I second her view and definitely think it's ok...of course I still practice as a PT and give some exercises along with TMS healing when I can. I try to pick things that make the client feel good and relaxed if we are using TMS principles. If you have certain stretches that make you feel good, do them! The key is having the right mindset. The exercises can help you feel good but the long term pain cure will come from your TMS strategies, which I'm sure you know :)

5. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

If it doesn't increase your beliefs in structural problems, why not?

And some PTs understand TMS. After I explained my TMS beliefs to my primary care doctor, she was supportive and referred me to a PT who she said 'sees things like you do.' While the PT had never heard of Sarno, she was familiar with Dr. Hanscom. She was thrilled that I knew my foot drop was the result of autonomic nervous system dysfunction. The exercises she prescribed were all about breathwork in different positions, designed to relax the nervous system and improve circulation. Foot drop cleared in three weeks.

MindBodyPT likes this.