1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is it important to use my injured hand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by gazelle, Feb 1, 2017.

1. gazelle

gazelle New Member

I'm starting to think that there is a strong component in my hand injury: it seemed to get a lot worse when I could use it again. Now that might have been because I tried to use it too early - before the doctor says - but I am also getting a sneaky suspiscion that TMS is playing its part. When I have treated TMS before I would commit to believing I had TMS, write out my feelings, visualize health and start moving the painful body part ASAP. But that doesn't feel right here because I was quite seriously injured in my accident. I was thinking of treating this as a TMS injury using my previous plan without the movement. Any input anyone? Or am I just playing to the TMS?

2. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

My personal opinion, and I'm by no means a doctor, is that a lot of symptoms can be attributed to TMS, but not everything. You mentioned that you were seriously injured so I would definitely seek medical advice on this issue. I would make sure the injury is fully healed before I started using it again.

plum likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

gazelle (beautiful choice of name),
    beautiful gazelle,

An injury is not TMS. You must allow a seriously injured hand all the healing, recovery and rest time it needs. TMS is not about the pain we suffer but all about the reasons we generate suffering. For many people this is due to micro-management and attempts to control those things over which we have no control. TMS is the resultant knot of this over-thinking.

The gift of TMS is the insight into how you have created a persona to deal with life. The healing comes when you let that go and be yourself. Recurrences come when we re-engage the persona. At some point we know longer have need to 'emotionally detox' because the care of our soul has become something we honour on a day-to-day basis. Once we understand this on a bone-deep level we no longer play the is-this-tms game with ourselves. We know the difference between an injury, an illness, a stress-exhausted body and TMS.

Let your hand be and instead look at the reasons why you are pushing a natural process and trying to overlay your bodies wisdom with your mind. By all means journal, visualise and do all else that helps you connect with yourself but do it for the right reasons, do it to foster healing.

There is a paradoxical element to TMS which can take a while to grasp and this is why other people's responses can sound like riddles sometimes but I think my fellow old timers will understand what I mean.

Take care,

Plum x

Lunarlass66, Ellen and tgirl like this.