1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is increased pain a hopeful sign?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MSZ812, May 29, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

I read Sarno's book "The Mind Body Prescription" a few weeks ago and am 9 days into the Structured Education Program on this website. For the past 4 days, the pain has increased. I now wake up with pain, which has not been "normal" since the onset of TMS 15 months ago. The early morning hours had been the most pain-free part of my days until this week. Is my brain aware that I'm working on defeating it's distraction by amping up the pain? Am I wrong in feeling hopeful about this?

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MSZ. Yes, I believe as does Dr. Sarno that our TMS symptoms can increase as we are getting better.
    Our subconscious keeps sending the pain until it is assured that we believe 100 percent that our pains is from TMS
    and not structural. Keep believing and you will heal completely.

MSZ812 likes this.
  3. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, you are being tested! I went thru many challenges like this when the pain increased. Or it moved somewhere or developed a strange new symptom in order to regain my attention. That is why I always ask now "how distracting is it?" Also, when my pain got less, my anxiety really increased. It was like a seesaw. Stick with it, I think you are on the verge of a breakthough!

MSZ812 likes this.
  4. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, yes you should feel hopeful. When the pain ramps up ensure your fear and/or frustration don't increase. Try to go about your day as best you can and gently remind the pain that you're not afraid, and that you know it will pass. Laugh at the pain, and tell it you know you're fine, healthy and strong. By doing the SEP you are uncovering the cause of your TMS, so it's no surprise your pain levels fluctuate. You're essentially stirring things up emotionally, and it's the held emotions that were in combat with your pain for attention. Persevere, and do lots of deep breathing to calm your nervous system down. The more calm (and accepting) you can be about the pain, the sooner it will pass.

Anne Walker and MSZ812 like this.