1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is gender dysphoria TMS like mutism?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hi, I just read a book called "The Divided Mind". I am trying to understand gender dysphoria in a non-aggressive way and have no one to ask this question. Dr. Sarno says some psychological issues are TMS equivalents, like mutism, generalized anxiety and some others.

Is gender dysphoria TMS?

2. Booble

Booble Well known member

I think that's a great question and hopefully this is a safe space to discuss. I do think it's very possible that a (large?) percentage of those feeling gender dysphoria could be experiencing it as a form of TMS. I'm grateful that as a society we are working toward being more inclusive and yet I've often wondered about the biological versus psychological versus sociological aspects of gender dysphoria. My tendency is to think that biological conditions of this type are rare, but then I remember that we've put so many hormone disregulators into the environment and the food. For example, soy is a plant estrogen. Many people have fed their growing young boys soy milk. I'm not suggesting that those who drink soy milk are going to suddenly feel gender dysphoria. I'm putting that out there as food for thought about pregnant women, new borns, infants, toddlers and those going through puberty encountering hormones in the environment. That's the environmental factor. Sociologically, I don't know. You do seem to have peer groups in junior high school and high school where friends all want to have gender surgery. Is that because of some peer pressure, "stick it to the man" teenage thing the way long hair and tattoos and other anti-establishment behavior is a part of every generation? And then there is TMS. It does seem possible that troubled emotions could play out in this way. Particularly if the hidden anger is toward a parent or elder of one gender or another. Note: I'm not a psychologist, I'm just surmising here.

I hope this post doesn't sound dismissive of the trans community as I'm supportive. If I've said something offensive I apologize in advance and welcome learning more.

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a great question, and I think it “depends” - on how you deal with these feelings. There is a tms coach in the UK who is a trans person, and they frequently address these feelings in social media posts. Check out Phil de la Haye. I find his posts enlightening.

JanAtheCPA and Booble like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll echo the "great question" responses, @Jawarrior1!

Just remember that the TMS brain mechanism is nothing more than a primitive survival mechanism in all human brains, allowing the brain to repress "negative" emotions and distract us with something else (the symptom) that causes fear and anxiety so that our brains stay alert to danger. What's essential to understand is that the definition of "negative" is extremely individual and personal.

From that point of view, I would suggest that feelings of gender dysphoria might give rise to repression and distraction by the TMS brain, due to negative societal pressures - thus the dysphoria itself is not TMS, but it can lead to the creation of TMS symptoms.

I guess I just reiterated what
    @Cactusflower said, which is that it depends on how one deals with the feelings.

5. Booble

Booble Well known member

That's interesting to think of it in the reverse like that.
    Gender dysphoria feelings first creating TMS vs. TMS emotions creating gender dysphoria.

@Jawarrior1 what are your thoughts on the subject?

JanAtheCPA likes this.