1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dr. David Schechter undermining Dr. Sarno?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BeWell, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a similar machine I bought years ago, called a Chi Machine. A yoga teacher tried to sell me one for $500. I saw the identical machine on a late night home shopping cable channel for under a $100 and bought one. I used it a few times and now it's in the pile of "pain stuff" collecting dust. It was relaxing, and gently massaged and moved my butt around. I think the major benefits of these types of machines are offering a "time out" from the daily grind for some relaxation and allowing the TMS affected areas of the anatomy to relax their tightness. The machine in question looks is more elaborate then the one Chi Machine I have and looks like it could have some relaxation benefits--especially if you use it about eight hours a day, plugging it into the the hours of the day that produce the TMS creating stressful emotional events--such as work and relationships.

I can't see the device causing injury, just some gentle massaging. Reviewers on the internet were critical of the telemarketers and if you want to return it for a refund, good luck! If you're interested, I would wait until you can buy it at a bricks and mortar store in the "As Seen On TV" department, highly discounted and more easily returnable. It does look relaxing and may be fun at parties to break the ice. After a few sessions it would probably be collecting dust with the rest of the pain stuff.

As for Dr. Schechter endorsing it, Beverly Hills is in the high-rent district, TMS comprises a very small segment of any physician's practice, because 99% of sufferers want a quick allopathic fix, not wanting to hear that "It's all in your head". It won't do any harm except to one's wallet and is not as invasive as surgery. I've found that by the time many TMS'ers get here, they have depleted their bank accounts with all the other stuff A to Z and don't have anything left to pay a TMS practitioner who can really help them at a fraction of what they've spent on stuff that hasn't worked--or their insurance won't cover the $500-$1000, that a work-up by a TMS physician or a few sessions of therapy by a bonafide TMS counselor would cost.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Ellen and BBDiesel like this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Its really sad..

3. Tennis Tom

This is exhibiting fear of the "physical", that your back is still delicate and could be injured by benign activity. I would focus on not getting into the emotional situations that are the underlying causes of TMS, FYI, like I won't hook-up back up with some of the relationships that have caused me stress.

4. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
    Ellen and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Tennis Tom

I've seen this "back" device on late night TV infomercials and it does look like it could be fun--for about three times, until getting bored with it and it gets thrown under the bed to collect dust. It may be fun at parties, or if used by someone who is housebound, having very limited opportunities for movement with a very stiff torso allowing the anatomy to release--you could meditate and watch CSI Miami at the same time.

But, the mindset would have to be that there is nothing wrong with the back, except, that it's slowly atrophying due to a lack of movement, induced by fear, propagated by collective medical/industrial meme. If you wait long enough it will probably be purchasable at a bricks and mortar store like Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 30 day return policy. I may buy the watermelon slicer that I saw in an email I just got from BB&B, I love watermelon especially in melon-tinis:

http://view.ed4.net/v/KBMI5W/0VB88C/SVT1EXK/UUU57RZ/MAILACTION=1&FORMAT=H?mcid=EM_Productcampaign_201608_ASTV_Offer&rid=KBMI5W-IY5HGL-6VVJ98Q-726UTXS-V8UFHI-v1 (Hosted Email)

6. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

A local orthopedist is listed as a TMS practitioner. However, he never mentions TMS and in fact dismisses the psychogenic aspect of various ailments and pain. For some, it's about luring in new patients. I believe there are very few true TMS doctors (I can attest that Dr. Gwozdz is among that select group).

7. Tennis Tom

Who is he? Is he listed at this site?

8. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Tom, I'd prefer not to expand beyond my original comment.

9. MrRage

MrRage Peer Supporter

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything but I think money is the biggest reason why it is taking so long for the mainstream medical community to accept TMS theory. Most of the studies have confirmed what Sarno and a few others have been saying all along. But if society were to suddenly embrace TMS theory , that would mean a lot of masseuses, physiotherapists, surgeons, chiropractors, etc. would be out of work overnight.

Nothing makes me more angry than a quack doctor exploiting the pain of his patients for money!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  10. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Boston Redsox and BBDiesel like this.
  11. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

12. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

@Tennis Tom, How I appreciate your addition of comic relief to this Forum! :D

13. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

14. pspa

pspa Well known member

!cid_X_MA8_1479061628@aol.jpg
    Tom you might appreciate this which someone just sent me.