1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dr. David Schechter undermining Dr. Sarno?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BeWell, Aug 14, 2016.

1. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
    Brant, birdsetfree and Lavender like this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

$$$$$$$$

Lavender likes this.
  3. Yinlin

Yinlin New Member

This was not good to watch...saw it on youtube..

Lavender likes this.
  4. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

Wow.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. BBDiesel

BBDiesel New Member

I feel so disturbed reading and watching this information on you tube. I made the effort to go see him and paid him lots of money for a consult.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Lavender and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Me too. I saw him years ago, told me my hip wasn't TMS, to get a hip replacement sooner then later--that's been about 15 years ago, still struggling with whether the DX was right for me.

BBDiesel likes this.
  7. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

Did you get the hip replacement? Are you still struggling tennis Tom?

8. Boston Redsox

They are very few of these so called tms Dr that are worth there salt

plum, Huckleberry and Jason32 like this.
  9. Jason32

Jason32 Peer Supporter

Having spoke with a TMS Dr. myself and listening to some of the experiences of others, I agree with this statement. Stick with Dr. Sarno, the original and the best, his books have most of what you need to know anyway. Some of these providers don't even seem to believe in mindbody that much.

Caveat: Dr. Schubiner seems outstanding, though I've never met him.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  10. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with this as well.

I've visited a couple of practitioners and I have always been left with the impression that I know more than them. If you have an understanding of the core theory of TMS/stress illness nobody regardless of their qualifications or status can tell you anything else. I cannot help but feel some people are making an awful lot of cash out of this condition.

plum, Boston Redsox and Jason32 like this.
  11. Boston Redsox

I said the same thing years ago....all you need is Sarno Steve O book for the journey and most importantly a clean bill of health from your PCP ...yes there is severe cases which people need therapy but other than those cases ...you is all you need...but I have to say 2-4 session with a tms Therpist is helpful

12. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Agreed. Such a shame.

13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

No hip replacement, that would be the easy way out, 2.5 hours on the operating table, amputation of the upper femur and acetabulum, pound in and glue some new parts, you're walking the same day (with two big guys holding you up) and about six months to a year to get back to playing like you were--seems a bit barbaric to me when all that's needed is a little teflon to replace some worn out cartilage--if that's the problem and it's not TMS. And, then many folks start having problems with their other hip for no rational reason and get that one done too.

I'm struggling if the dx was right, but not with doing anything I want to do that doesn't require sprinting. I've done thirteen marathons prior to "my hip", so don't have any big urge to run a lot, but wouldn't mind being a step or two faster on the tennis court. I just played some real fun tennis today and felt better the more I played. Now for some re-hab in the hot-tub and a run in the pool.

14. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

God damnit

15. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Thats enraging

16. Boston Redsox

He just brought tms back 20 years for that stunt...omg

17. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear god Tom, that sounds like one hell of a nocebo. I greatly admire your tenacity and courage in the face of that. Fifteen years is a damn fine two-figure salute and something you ought derive much faith from. You're not called Tom the Lion for no reason :)

Tennis Tom and birdsetfree like this.
  18. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

What price integrity?
    I agree completely with your estimation that healing is an inside job. It is such a shame that professional support at it's simplest is a lottery with a hefty price tag. God bless this community for holding each other safe and for sharing their knowledge, experiences and healing.

Tennis Tom, birdsetfree and Yinlin like this.
  19. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  20. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

Sad...my sister has the Back2Life machine and I tried it years ago and it crippled me even worse than what I was feeling at that time......this was before I rediscovered TMS but I'm definitely alittle leary of trying it again, it may perhaps help loosen up tight muscles but I have no desire to try it again. Schechter reminds me of Krusty the Klown from a Simpsons episode when he sold out, who famously said" how could I say NO, they drove up with a dump truck full of money!" ... lol.

BBDiesel likes this.