1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Depression TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I'm struggling with some depression lately and I was wondering if this is TMS? All my physical symptoms are pretty much gone lately, but I'm really struggling with this now. How do you overcome TMS depression if it is a symptom imperative? I have a 5 month old baby, 3 year old, and tons and tons of stuff going on in life right now too...

Misha likes this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Perhaps look up Post-partum depression. Did you have any with your first baby? It can appear months after giving birth and is often hormone fluctuation induced. There's quite a few websites that list the symptoms of PPD. Also, Abigail Steidley, a TMS coach/ healer, who had pelvic pain and overcame that, had PPD after her baby was born. She has a website, if you google her name.

Gigi likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have had depression several times in my life, twice quite severe. If your symptoms are relatively mild, you should be able to beat it without medication. I took antidepressants for 1 week, quit and never looked back. Yoga, exercise, meditation and exercise again. Good luck!

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it's a TMS affective /emotional symptom.

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes it's just symptom imparative at play. Just as the mind can create symptoms within the body. The mind can also create symptoms within itself to distract you from looking at psychological cause.

A book that comes with high recommendation on this forum is Dr.Schubiners - unlearn your anxiety and depression, which is more a supplement to his unlearn your pain workbook. Please note, the work book isn't included in the unlearn your anxiety and depression book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMM3SLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1461650945&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dr+howard+schubiner (Amazon.com: Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression The First Five Chapters: A self-guided process to reprogram your brain eBook: Howard Schubiner: Kindle Store)

Wishing you strength, courage and wisdom on your journey to healing.

jennyc19 likes this.
  6. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

My family has a history of depression. My mother has struggled with depression her entire life. She is 80 years old now and lives in a little house next to mine.

I have been depressed a few times. They now know that talk therapy for depression is as successful as medication. I have witnessed for 50 years all the various approaches my mother uses to manage her depression, including medications. All the techniques we use in TMS recovery work really well with depression as well.

I believe it is a little more complex than simply TMS though because depression is an emotional condition fed by our thinking. As I began to become painfree, I started to become acutely aware of the depression I had been suffering from for quite some time. I think the underlying conditions of the depression were a large part of what my mind was distracting me from with the pain. That is when I began to understand why our subconscious creates pain to distract and mask our emotional life.

My daughter recently became very depressed. She is 15 and in the second year of high school. She has always been extremely verbal and it got to the point where she could barely complete a sentence. It broke my heart and I was very concerned. I took the time to hang out with her and really listen. I encouraged her to leave her high school and try something different. She was putting too much pressure on herself and although she loves learning, she did not enjoy any of her work. Now she is taking community college classes and I feel like I have my daughter back. She laughs and I can't get her to stop talking, singing...

You can manage and overcome the depression. Believing that and being proactive is key. It is a very stressful time with young children and lots of responsibilities. As one therapist asked me once when I was in a similar situation "what is your oasis?" It is essential to carve out some time for yourself, replenish yourself.

jennyc19 and Tennis Tom like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. I agree with Anne amnd the other good TMSWiki people who responded to you. I can get depressed even after healing from back pain through TMS and the SEprogram. Life is not easy these days, if it ever was. When I get depressed, I practice deep breathing, tell myself it isn't fatal, and find some pleasant distraction. I watch a movie, preferably a funny old one, or surf Youtube for inspiration or calming.