1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is atrophy real or just TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by billiewells, Aug 19, 2017.

1. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

Put a shout out for support in the UK last week and got no response, so perhaps it would be better if I was more universal in my questions.

I have followed programmes and recently really enjoyed and felt lifted by Alan's ne programme, but after it has finished I seem to go round in circles again.

I am caught in cycle of being told my muscles are atrophying and being told I should do more exercise which my body won't let me do .

Are atrophying muscles TMS? Is it just my brain that doesn't want me to walk.

I feel annoyed and ashamed with myself that I am making such little progress, although I know even that is not the mindset that I should have.

Any advice gratefully accepted,

2. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi-
    Disuse atrophy is a real thing, caused by-- disuse! Assuming this is what you are referring to!
    It is also reversible, through gentle, gradual resumption of activity. Muscles aren't built in a day, or even a week, but over time.

This is a wonderful success story that specifically describes the atrophied state of her muscles, and her gradual return to activity:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/my-tms-success-story-crippling-foot-pain-plantar-fasciitis-wrist-pain-eye-pain.5224/ (My TMS Success Story (crippling foot pain - plantar fasciitis, wrist pain, eye pain))

billiewells likes this.
  3. billiewells

Thank you I will take a look

4. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Good luck with your healing. Things can take time, while you are trying to build up your muscle strength - be aware of what issues come up - what flashes into your mind, what things bug you? - what feelings come up? anger, sadness... It is like looking for signposts that can lead us to finding out how we tick. When you try and exercise what do you feel...? is there resentment, or a feeling of being overwhelmed? listen to your inner voice - is it saying 'I can't do this'? Or 'I'm not good enough'. Anything that comes up - look at it, try and remember when you first in your life was aware of feeling like this. Try and do some meditation or mindfulness or just get out and sit in nature too - it makes a good balance to all the hard work. Above all, be kind and compassionate to yourself :)

Ellen and billiewells like this.
  5. billiewells

Thank you for your response

6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes...after 18 months of being on again/off again at work in my last 'stand' of TMS before I read HBP My leg muscles had atrophied substantially. I have a picture somewhere of me that was taken during that time and I looked like a giant chicken...The strength came back fast... The bodies ability to heal is extraordinary at any age.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  7. billiewells

That is great to hear, losing faith . What is HBP?

8. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

9. billiewells

Oh of course - silly me :))