1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is anybody on Meds

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

During there journey would like some feed backs and comments.

Thx
    Happy New Year

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Boston,

When I first learned about TMS (over 18 months ago), I was taking the maximum dose of tramadol every day for chronic pain, and had been on it for 15 years. I was also taking a beta blocker every day to prevent migraines, and had been on it for 18 years. Neither medication worked--I still had pain and frequent migraines. So once I started treating my pain as TMS and started having periods of no pain or reduced pain, I decided to wean myself off the tramadol. I did it very slowly, but still had withdrawal symptoms that took awhile to completely get over. Once I was over the tramadol, I began to wean myself off of the beta blocker, and again, I had some symptoms during the process, but I finally got through it. It was difficult, but I'm glad I did it. I've been mostly pain free and migraine free since, though I do have an occasional relapse.

I still take an antidepressant and have for half my life. I've started weaning myself off of it slowly. I am now taking 2/3 of the dose I was on. I know from reading Schubiner's book on anxiety and depression that I can expect to have some rebound depression when coming off antidepressants, so I will take it very slow.

Not everyone has withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking a medication or reduce the dose. I had been taking mine for a long time and my brain was very used to them.

Everyone has to make their own decisions about taking medications---when to do it and when to stop. You have to weigh the risks and benefits. I wasn't getting any benefit from mine, and I had begun to see a difference in pain levels from using TMS strategies, so it was time for me to stop taking them.

3. Boston Redsox

Ellen

Thx for your response , I was able to get off my meds for awhile but my pain and anxiety increased so much that I was having numerous panic attacks and was not able to work or leave the house, so against what I believed in I had to go back on my antidepressant and pain meds , lexapro and gabapentin which takes a lot of the edge off which I amiable to function and go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do yoga off the meds I am in prison . I am in a terrible catch 22 I believe in tms 100% , but not ready I guess to come off meds yet. I will consider it self care for now knowing its not a cure. This is a journey for all of us . God Bless and Happy New Year.

4. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Hi Boston Redsox,

I am in a similar situation as I believe in the TMS diagnosis, but I am still on three medications - Panadol Osteo (Paracetamol), Lyrica (Pregabalin) and Endep (Amitriptyline). All of these medications are for my neuropathic pain symptoms, as they don't have much effect on my TMS aches that I used to get in my back, shoulders and neck. Those aches still come back from time to time, but I know they are TMS and they usually go away after a short time.

I'm not ready to stop taking the Lyrica yet as I have missed a dose, and the pain came back with a vengeance. Also the pain is very sudden, severe and disruptive, so it makes it difficult to work and do normal activities. I do believe it's a symptom of TMS, but I've come to a decision that I'm not going to push myself to stop the meds because it will take a long time to successfully transition off them. Also, it took me two months (and a LOT of side effects) after starting the Lyrica to get any pain relief, so you can't just go "on and off" it like I can with Paracetamol and other pain relievers. I really don't want to have to go through that awful transition stage again!!

Anyway, I agree that it's a journey for all of us… and I'm learning not to rush the process or force myself before I'm truly ready. Giving up Lyrica will be a hard process, so I want to be ready and prepared for it when the time comes.

God bless and have a Happy New Year!
    Lauren

5. Boston Redsox

Laudisco

I agree with you regarding lyrica , you don't need to come off your meds during your tms healing process as long as you believe and there is no structural or organic problems your good to go. Don't be hard on your self think of the meds as self care relax and take a break once in a while from tms healing. Be in the now and don't think about tomorrow .