1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Anxiety and TMS the same thing?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fredb, May 16, 2019.

1. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

There are so many messages on the forums that refer to the connection between TMS and anxiety, I wonder if TMS is just a symptom of chronic anxiety? Any thoughts on this?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Anxiety and TMS are tied together. I have never met anyone with TMS Who doesn't also have anxiety, But I Have met people with anxiety who don't have tms (yet).

Anxiety is just fear projected into the future. I have noticed from living with someone who continually has meltdowns of anxiety that it isn't necessarily tied to any truth. (at first). People with anxiety are projecting some uncontrollable future where perceived negative things will or might happen. Pointing out the truth that these things usually don't end up manifesting as bad as they fear seems to be of little use. The anxiety, like TMS is there to occupy their attention, so just as if TMS goes untreated it turns into other symptoms, anxiety is never 'full' and is always 'hungry'. If the anxiety inducing situation resolves itself or proves to be benign they just move on to the next thing to be anxious about.

Eventually some of their anxious things become real...they are anxious say.... about a relationship or a job. Their continuous lack of presence and tending to the NOW eventually does bite them in the ass like a self fulfilling prophecy. Their partner leaves them or they get fired for not paying attention, proving the anxious thought 'correct'.

This can happen with TMS. Someone becomes so obsessed about harming themselves they cease to be active...and then all that sitting around DOES causes cramping, anxiety, symptoms.

So yes, they are first cousins of sorts

3. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thank you baseball65 for you interesting theory. I tend to think your summary is correct, but also that anxiety, in my view is the causative emotion for the start up of TMS symptoms, or at least what causes the symptoms to persist.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno actually discussed this in detail on page 37 of Healing Back Pain. It was one of the most confusing paragraphs in the whole book for me (I have it noted). He discusses it right after talking about people who seem to have none (the ones who 'put it out of their mind')

I know from my own experiences that the times I have had relapse 'tickles' as I like to call them, I always thought everything was OK. "Why am I getting this symptom? I don't have any problems"

Than I would go home, pray and write and inevitably there was something that SHOULD be bugging me that wasn't. I am so conditioned to repress stuff that I never even get a sniff as it goes in there. Examples... Getting a promotion at work or changing Jobs. Moving to a different place. Starting a relationship with someone new. None of those things consciously , on the surface seem to be 'scary' so I get no anxiety.
    Than I go find that little undeveloped scared child hidden in the shadows and realize ANY new situation triggers all sorts of fears and anxiety.

I know this sounds insane BUT as soon as I can focus on what is bugging me...provoke the fear or anxiety awake, the pain leaves. And now that it's awake I can actually move through it and learn a lesson from it. In that respect the pain and anxiety have been great teachers.

5. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Hi baseball65. Yes I understand what you are saying. I guess that applies to so many of us as well. Gear is always there somewhere
    It is just that sometimes we do not recognise it and that is often what holds us back.