1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is addiction TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Markus, May 12, 2015.

1. Markus

Markus Guest

One question I wanted to ask is dependance on a medication TMS.....?
    What if one feels they could be addicted? Would this still be TMS?
    Mark.......

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. Markus

Markus Guest

I just read in TGPD, that TMS is responsible (the reason for) addiction and many non physical phenomena.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll bet a dollar-to-a-donut, Markus, that people with TMS and addicts both have atrophied neural receptors that make it difficult for them for them to be satisfied and experience pleasure, but of course I haven't got a shred of science-based evidence to support my hunch. Any neuro-scientists out there who'd like to affirm or deny this? I do know that Dr Gabor Mate began his studies of alcohol and drug addiction following his study of ADHA (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity) disorders.

4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

good point Bruce and wise to qualify it with the fact its not 100% certain. There are neurological factors involved most certainly along with social conditions. The need to escape from your situation. If you cant afford a holiday its cheaper to whip out the pills/booze/cheese.

One remarkable thing that has hit me with regard to stuff I've read on nutrition and pain disorders. People are obsessed with genes. I'm fat because my Mum and Dad are fat, ''back pain is in the family'', same with alcoholism. I'm making a sweeping generalisation but I think most of it is down to learned behaviours passed on from parent to child. The child inherits the same anxious tendencies as a parent due to learning from being around them all the time. Genetics play a factor of course but Nuture is more powerful than nature where young kids are concerned. My Dad suffers terrible back pain now and again and I just laugh to myself because now I see why I suffered so much. we are both highly strung and not expressive of our emotions. Then others come to rely on alcohol to suppress their own turmoil and mask it. Many times I've consoled 'strong men' who fall to pieces when in a drunken stupor.

Now look at cancer for example. Scientists are spending industrial quantities of cash and only really making small inroads identifying express-or genes of thousands of cells. Cancer research is hugely popular as everyone knows someone who has died or is dealing with it. There are so many different types of cells involved it will be a long time until we are near to curing it via this method. Add to the mix the fact that 80% of research papers published are not reproducible, indicating the research is flawed, poorly considered etc. Not surprising when so much cash gets throw at something. Nixon announced War on Cancer 40 years ago and its worse than ever.

A physicist proposed an alternative model of cancer based on his observations around current thinking into the disease. I love physicists because they are not precious about dogma. A new idea comes along and they try to prove it wrong using empirical method rather than dismissing it out of hand. So this Physicist has proposed that Cancer is like a sort of ''Safe-mode'' brought about by enormous stress. As we are all producing cancerous cells(yes you right now!) when you add stress to the mix, the immune system becomes susceptible to allowing the proliferation of cancer cells. The body is crying out for a rest and succumbs to disease. Some parallels with TMS thinking(I'm not claiming this is the same mechanism).

Anyway if you want to view the lecture here it is. fascinating detailed overview of the whole Cancer picture.

Markus likes this.
  5. Markus

Markus Guest

It's very possible Bruce, It's a great thought. I too would like to dive into it more.

6. Markus

Markus Guest

IrishSceptic,I would not be shocked if some of us have had cancer,but our immune system killed it immediately. I wish we spent as much on disease research as we do OTHER things!
    Mark.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree that cancer can be caused by stress and Dr. Sarno says as much so in his books. I also think our immune systems are always fighting off cancers that we're not aware of. I live in an area where there is a high incidence of breast cancer. Evidence has shown this is because there is more testing for it here then in other areas. As the saying goes, if you're looking for trouble, you'll usually find it.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Markus likes this.
  8. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Markus asked "is addiction TMS?".
    I personally think TMS is more or less an addiction instead of addiction a tms. We tmser's are addicted to negative emotions and always respond negatively to just about everything that is bad happening to us. If we really think about it, our respond,, our reaction to everything in our life are shaped by our: experience, routine, habit, addiction, ... We expect thing to happen a certain way and if it does not we got stress. We created personal space and safe zone everywhere. And when we're forced to step out of our safe zone or break our "routine", we got stress or tms.
    I tried to quit smoking thousand of time and each time I failed due to withdrawal symptoms and my fear of the symptoms. When I applied my tms/anxiety knowledge to quitting smoke, I quitted successfully without any withdrawal symptoms. All I did was refuse to fear my withdrawal symptoms. Perception and expectation created my withdrawal symptoms. It was not due to the absence of nicotine. We are what we think all day long (Buddha), if we expect withdrawal symptoms, they will appear. The exact same thing happened when I stopped taking Xanax. No withdrawal symptoms when I realized that symptoms only exist if I "expected" it to exist.
    I think we are only "dependence" on medication by choice, and by fear only. We don't need them, we only think we need them.

Ellen likes this.
  9. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe it's called "genetic determinism" and many, including Bruce Lipton, think it's a crock. The medical dogma runs that it's DNA + RNA + Protein, but Professor Lipton believes it's DNA + RNA + Environment, Environment, Environment that decides how genes manifest. For example, my late father died of mesothelioma and he may have had a built in genetic tendency to develop lung cancer. But it was smoking three packs of Raleigh straights a day while he was working around clouds asbestos in the shipyards during WWII that were the real determining factors and they were environmental, not genetic.

Balto: Have to agree with you that TMSers do tend to look on everything that happens, even good things, from a dark perspective! Somewhere along life's path, they must have learned that too, huh?

Markus and IrishSceptic like this.
  10. Markus

Markus Guest

Balto, I agree with you that if persons who are addicted/dependant on something be it pills, alcohol, sex,food would apply TMS knowledge as they remove or work on these issues to their life, the process of recovery would be smoother. I believe addiction is a subsidiary of TMS. But, in general I like this discussion, I am grateful for every person adding to it! I believe addiction/dendance are TMS, also, though I'm declaring this without evidence, I agree with Bruce about TMSERS and addicted individuals having atrophied neural receptors! I'm waiting until I'm healed to investigate these issues more intensely!

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  11. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I am often struck by similarities between the TMS programs and those of Alcoholics Anonymous (and alike). Both programs focus on emotional wellness and changing our thinking patterns to recover from devastating illness. I think both programs could learn from each other.

I think it would be very helpful for people trying to recover from TMS to have regular meetings support meetings like AA.

Markus likes this.
  12. Markus

Markus Guest

TMS meetings? Not a bad idea! I appreciate your thoughts Cap n Spanky.
    Mark.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Addiction to medication or anything can cause TMS. It's depending on something other than your mind to heal you.
    Pills, alcohol, drugs, etc., just keep people from discovering the emotional cause of their pain.

TMS support meetings may not be possible because to my knowledge there are no local clubs.
    Our support meetings are our posts on this web site, exchanging stories of our pain and our progress toward healing.

14. Markus

Markus Guest

True but I got the idea of what was meant....good idea
    M