1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Introspection

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hiawatha922, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

I just wanted to share an interesting article from David Brooks. Brooks draws on some mindfulness philosophy and strategies when reflecting on journaling, introspection and narcissism. Here are a few of my take-aways from a "TMS perspective" (particularly in regard to childhood experiences).

1. Journaling about childhood experiences (as we often do with TMS) gives us beneficial perspective...our awareness is not the same as each and every experience that we encounter today or that we've encountered in the past. The passage of some time may work in our favor.

2. Posing questions to our inner child (like, what is it that you need?) again offers helpful perspective. This "third person" approach fosters the possibility of insight--it takes us a step away from forming our identity out of any particular emotion or thought.

3. Over-rationalizing each of our feelings and thoughts can actually distance us from gaining insight and understanding into some of our unconscious thoughts and feelings. Simply attend to what is coming to the surface. What is the story here?

Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/opinion/david-brooks-introspective-or-narcissistic.html?_r=0

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Wow, very interesting article! Thanks Hiawatha. Is that the same David Brooks who does the political commentary??

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for that excellent article, Hiawatha.

I'd like to share this...

I was watching a rerun last night of an episode of MR. SELFRIDGE, an excellent Masterpiece Theater series,
    and his mother told him, "The past haunts us if we don't confront it." Sounds like pure TMS knowledge, doesn't it!

He was troubled about his father having left them when he was a boy, and she told him to just accept that so he could find peace
    with him and himself.

4. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

Yes, this is the same David Brooks who does political commentary.

If we can fully experience our emotions and then release them (rather than getting preoccupied), I think we are moving in a direction that affords peace.

Ellen likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Great article! Thanks for sharing it. The book by David Brooks (the Social Animal) is one of my favorites.