1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Introduction from The Uk

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rob89, Jul 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. rob89

rob89 New Member

After everyone. I have just signed up today and wanted to introduce myself. Please do tell me if this is in the wrong section, as I couldn’t see anything specifically for introductions, although I am using a very small phone and I’m not good at finding things :)

for the last 3 years I have had very bad chronic pain. It started as a small shoulder problem. This then became a neck problem. The pain over time became debilitating. I have had upwards of 20 diagnostics/tests done. This doesn’t include the actual appointments to discuss findings. These have ranged from brain scans, to MRI’s, to blood tests and so on. There is no physical finding. This filled me with despair.

I have tried every kind of physical treatment imaginable with small, but limited success. The pain remained and still remains. My thoughts are always on the physical. Every single physical sensation is noticed and analysed.

normal discomfort from training or physical things will be focussed on. They will be analysed. Those very normal sensations and feelings then morph into utter agony. It’s crazy.

The physical sensation then increases, with the increase comes more stress and the vicious cycle is underway. Symptoms vary in severity, the move, they disappear, they come back when I wouldn’t expect, yet they are absent when I would expect. I played professional rugby years ago. I’m now 32 and compete in strength sports. I can train, but sitting watching TV can become disabling. It has had a profound impact on my life and work and relationships. I was very sceptical of mind body connections. I have since read healing back pain and the mind body prescription. I identity with so much. I have tried to make changes, I am seeking therapy and will have my second session this coming Friday.

As much as it all makes sense, sometimes in the grasps of pain it is hard to remember what you have read and what, deep down you know; the problems are psychological in origin. I have also has psychological issues previously. When my sporting career came to an end I developed an eating disorder which was serious. I have always been diligent, obsessive, seeking perfection, anxious....and so on.

there’s so much I could write about my experiences but I’m sure you guys have heard it all before.

I am hopeful that with my reading, the acceptance, the identification and the psychological help, I may just be able to return to a pain free life with my friends and family :)

I’m here to read, learn, engage and be in the company (cyber company :) of others who have maybe been down the same path, or are travelling that path now :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Welcome Rob!

You are in the right place and on the right track.

I had many of the symptoms you had between the ages of 29-31: from back, neck, and shoulder pain to pain and numbness in my legs, arms, and hands.

“Not me!” was my initial reaction to TMS diagnosis as well. Of course, that’s a common reaction. However, it answered all my questions regarding my pain and disability.

I recently posted a series of videos here on my journey to recovery. Hope it will help you build your confidence in the mind-body connection and get you on the road to full recovery.

With your strong background in sports, you have the mental training and discipline to overcome TMS.

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/my-new-video-series-on-rapid-recovery-from-tms.24763/ (My New Video Series on Rapid Recovery from TMS)

3. Cariad

Cariad Peer Supporter

Hi there @rob89 !

Good to see you here. I can see so much to give hope in your message - you seem to be really on the ball about TMS, have done your reading and research, and I think you recognise you are a 'classic' TMS personality - diligent, driven, perfectionist... I think that all bodes really well!

I'm female and rather older than you, but also from the UK, and I too have been through the mill of tests, and I don't even care to think what I spent on osteos, physios, acupuncturists and even some geezer who pressed on my arm while I held test tubes of different foods in my hand... good grief... None of it helped except in the most temporary and placebo way.

It really does take a shift of mindset from physical to psychological. Simple, but not always easy. As a sportsman, I know you'll be highly tuned to the physical, but I'm sure you also understand the role of sports psychology. What I have found is that a tendency to 'try harder' is sometimes the worst thing - you have to ease back and be patient, to 'allow' rather than force healing.

I'm sure your therapist will help, good luck with that. Some people are spectacular cures straight away, some take longer to unpick the strands. I still sometimes get flares of different things, and I can journal and meditate to figure it out, but sometimes I simply say to myself 'Hey! Cut it out! I've had enough of my bullish*t!' ;)

This is a really helpful site, have a good explore around the Search function, I bet you'll find loads to confirm that you're on the right path with this!

Bests, Cariad

4. rob89

rob89 New Member

Thank you very much for your kind welcome

I certainly toiled with ‘not me’ for a long time. I will be sure to look at those videos, thanks you

5. rob89

rob89 New Member

Thank you :)

It is the same for me, a lot of money spent and wasted. All immaterial now though.

Think talking to yourself, being stern when things come on, certainly can help.

I had a moment myself the other day where I felt something and I said ‘no’. The pain literally melted away

hawaii_five0 likes this.