1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction - From the UK

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by runagain, Jun 17, 2013.

1. runagain

runagain New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here. It's good to be among others who seem to be dealing with similar issues.
    A little background: I first felt pain in my back 4+ years ago. At the time I put it down to heavy gardening and a sudden bout of intense skateboarding. Looking back with my new TMS glasses on I realise now that there had been years of intense situations stacking up... On top of which I had recently become a father. Up until recently the pain was not very limiting or intense and I put my head in the sand more than anything. A month ago it got worse and I decided that I really needed to do something about it - Otherwise I would probably have pain for the rest of my life. I found Dr. Sarno's approach online and it instantly made sense.
    I studied holisitc medicine in Germany for three years, which introduced me to many non-mainstream approaches. Also, my wife recovered from CFS swiftly and fully using a bodymind therapy here in the uk called Reverse Therapy or Mickel Therapy (I recommend googling these terms for anyone with CFS and possibly even for TMS sufferers as the basic ideas and approaches are similar - as are the success rates).
    So, I have read Healing Back Pain, The Great Pain Deception as well as many article and posts on the Wiki and forum.
    I should point out that I have not had a TMS Doctor officially diagnose TMS, as there are no TMS Doctors in the UK (Apart from Georgie Oldfield, who I have yet to contact). However, everything I have read matches up with everything I am experiencing so I really have no doubts and fully accept TMS as my 'diagnosis'.
    I have started some journalling which has brought up more than I had thought possible already. To be honest, though, I think I have secretly been hoping that I would be one of those lucky 'knowlegde-only healers'. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that this may well not be the case.
    My Wife recovered so well from CFS. This and the encouragment from Sarno and Howard Stern etc was keeping me hopeful. Oh well...
    One thing that has crossed my mind a few times... I am greatful for the pain in a twisted way... It is attempting to help me deal with stuff that I have so efficiently and effectively hidden from myself. THis is easier said in moments of low or no pain. When the spasm get bad, the pain can go and f*** itself.
    Nice to meet you all.
    Regards from Wales
    Daniel

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Your post reminds me how Dr. Sarno said "your pain is a blessing". Of course when I was in pain those words seemed bizarre. In retrospect of course, he was right!

Becoming a parent brings its own stress. I remember after I gave birth I got very bad back pain. I was also very scared about handling a newborn. What if he cried and wouldn't stop, what if . . . the list went on. I now realize the pain went away when I began feeling more confident!

runagain likes this.