1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by star child, Feb 22, 2017.

1. star child

star child New Member

Hi,

Just a quick introduction as I am new to this forum.

I have suffered severe back pain for 23 years, often resulting in back spasms and having to lie on my back for days on end waiting for the symptoms to subside. In the last few years I have rarely been pain free. I'm sure this is a common story.

I recently came across TMS and interestingly, even before reading Dr Sarno's book, I was able to become pain free just by reading about it on line and watching some success videos. I had no pain at all apart from the odd twinge which would quickly go away if I just continued my daily activities. This lasted around three weeks.

Unfortunately in the last two weeks my pain has returned, which is why I have joined the forum and intend to work at my problem.

I look forward to corresponding with my fellow TMS sufferers.

Kind Regards,

Paul

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Peer Supporter

Welcome Paul! Isn't that amazing how easily the pain can dissipate? Then when it creeps back we know it can go away! I have to watch impatience and frustration as I know those bring pain back on.

Two things I got from Sarno's books that are in my words not his now-

I ask myself - what is going on in my life and or mind to ramp up this pain?

And

The emotions I am aware of are never the reason reason for the TMS...So what are my feelings I am not aware of?

ANGER, FEAR, SAD, SHAME or some variation of the above.

I journal about those two questions and for me my pain dissolves within an hour after writing.

Oh, I also go do something fun after I feel my journal is complete and I refuse to think about pain.

My method so far:) it's working. I also read Sarno's first two books back pain and Mind body prescription, but then I forced myself to quit reading as I get very research obsessed. I wanted to keep my recovery simple and break that pattern of perfection seeking.

So Glad you are here!!!

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Excellent post, don't get locked into the intellect it will pull you away from your feelings. Write, think and let go. I would add resentment to anger fear, shame and sorrow. Those seem to be the main instigators along with guilt for not being good enough, or "insufficient" from childhood.

SteveO

Hummingbird likes this.
  4. star child

star child New Member

Thank you both for your replies. Starting my journal today:)

Hummingbird likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,

Welcome star child! Many people have the experience you do of finding immediate relief, then needing to do more work. I think Steve and Hummingbird make great points. I wish you good progress, and check out the the TMS recovery program and the Structured Education Program, free at the Wiki.

Andy B

6. star child

star child New Member

Thanks Andy