1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Interesting Study on PT vs Placebo

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1872817

"...These components, together with patient confidence in the treatment and its effectiveness, are all known to contribute to an effective placebo response.37- 39 There is evidence that the quality of the therapeutic relationship influences outcomes such as pain and function7,38 and that a more patient-focused communication style (eg, listening, providing reassurance, encouragement) enhances this relationship.36 It is possible that this was a strong element of the sham intervention, whereas in the active intervention the therapists’ focus on content delivery may have reduced the time available for this element. Thus both active and sham physical therapy may have contained different therapeutic elements that resulted in similar clinical improvements."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. PamD

PamD Peer Supporter

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing this article, Tom. The subject is beyond my knowledge and experience but I hope it is helpful to those with hip pain.

A niece just told me she is having both knees replaced in a few days, after having both hips replaced 5 years ago. She is positive about it all and calls herself "the bionic woman." I sure admire her for her courage. It makes me remind myself that I still have my knees and hips and to thank God for it!

The article may be helpful for those with hip problems, but it doesn't suggest what I do... ask God's help in the ordeal.