1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Podcast

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Colly, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

mike2014 and BruceMC like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Richard Davidson, the guy being interviewed, is a famous neuroscientist and meditation researcher. Being of a scientific bent myself, I have found understanding the ancient emotional brain to be very helpful in understanding what is going on in this noggin of mine. His book, The Emotional Brain, is about the six elements of "emotional style" (a term he coined): resilience, outlook, social intuition, self-awareness, sensitivity to context, and attention.

I'm sure this podcast will be a great intro to his ideas. I've downloaded it and will give it a listen.

mike2014 and BruceMC like this.
  3. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Forest, yeah he talks about this in the podcast. It's funny how I used to think meditation would make the brain lazy; that it wasn't exercising the brain enough, but now that I do meditation I find it's so beneficial on so many levels. His book sounds fascinating, and his discussion is very compelling.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I enjoyed his book. In the long term, I don't think that it as helpful as Buddha's Brain, by Rick Hanson. Buddha's brain is also very easy to read and is full of very useful tips.

The podcast was excellent, though, and provided a quick introduction to Davidson's approach.