1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Interesting Oliver Sacks quote related to TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by wilforbis, Nov 30, 2017.

1. wilforbis

wilforbis Newcomer

I just stumbled on a note I took a while back quoting from Oliver Sacks autobiography. It seems quite supportive of the whole Sarno approach.

At the point in the book, Sacks was working at a migraine clinic and had a patient who had recurring migraines every Sunday. Via a pill, Sacks managed to banish the migraines. But they were then replaced with asthma. He offered to give the patient something for the asthma, but…

“No,” he replied. “I’ll just get something else…”
    “Do you think I need to be ill on Sundays?”

I was taken aback by his words but I said, “Let’s discuss it.”

We then spent two months exploring his putative need to be ill on Sundays. As we did, his migraines got less and less intrusive and finally more or less disappeared. For me, this was an example of how unconscious motives may sometimes ally themselves to physiological propensities, of how one cannot abstract an ailment or it’s treatment from the whole pattern, the context, the economy of someone’s life.

Sita, Ines and Tennis Tom like this.