1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Increased Pain won't stop

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

My pain as been escalating at a incredible pace in the last 36 hrs don't know what to do ...never had back pain , dizziness , plugged ears along with burning sensation all over . I want to run to hospital but I know that will be a waste

2. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Marco, I am sorry you are feeling so low right now. Remember this will pass. Deep breath and maybe read excerpts from a TMS book; one of Sarno's or any of them. Maybe some type of exercise will help. I find if I get outside and walk for a half hour I feel a bit better.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I am wondering about the plugged ears, do you think you could be getting sick with a cold? Coul be possible.

4. Boston Redsox

Thx Debbie

I was thinking the same but I don't feel like i am coming down with anything . But I feel so terrible it's all meshing together as one HUGE PAIN . I did some light excercise for 20 min. Got dizzy and had to lay down .

5. Boston Redsox

I have done all the programs read all the books journaled saw tms dr and Therpist see a general Therpist changed my living conditions excercise ...Know my body is screaming in pain can't work or move I have no signs of improvement at all this is very disheartening to say the least I don't know what else to say or do.

6. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry Marco. You've been living with and in an unhappy situation for awhile. I have some of the same challenges you do. I try to remember that it was years coming on…and that my subconscious probably won't go for a radically fast disappearance of it all. Mostly, what I'm trying to do is to NOT identify myself as a person with health issues, because they aren't. They're our long held ignored or frightening feelings. You've had a massive life change, location change, lost your home base, and feel weak from pain. I get it. But, the pain won't leave you helpless in the long run because it's telling us to take action with our emotions. I've spent too long knowing and being sad about what I don't want. Now, I'm trying to identify what would make me happy. Do you know what would make you happy outside of wanting to be pain-free?

7. Boston Redsox

Thx you so much for this post made a lot of sense and yes I do know what would make me happy...my fear of not having pain prevents me from moving on I am exhausted mentally and physically ...I don't believe I have been trying to hard to heal or I'm watching the calendar but it would be nice to see a glimmer of light

8. MWsunin12

Did you mean to write "my fear of NOT having pain?" Or: "My fear of having pain." If it was the first, I applaud your truthfulness. It made me think of my own situation and the possibilities. And, if it was the second…I understand that one, too.

9. Boston Redsox

Fear of having pain actually both

10. MWsunin12

okay. I know that one. But, it does make me stop and wonder…for myself only, not projecting it on you…if I have an equal fear of NOT having pain. It feels kind of like a ring of truth. Hmmmm

11. Boston Redsox

Yes so true .....I have been in a terrible pain cycle of late and it seems the more I use tms practice the worse it gets... So I just stop all and its subsided a bit

12. MWsunin12

Mostly Marco, I hope you can be gentle with yourself. Having your personal life change radically can be the worst, because no one else really GETS it. So, even when you're with people, you're isolated in your own experience. Maybe you should just "let go" of trying to process it all. Try the Norman Cousins route and read or watch hours of things that have humor or make you laugh. Get some endorphins going. Sending you peace for your evening.

Gigi likes this.
  13. Boston Redsox

Thx so much for your kind words

14. Renee

Renee Well known member

Marco, I'm reading Steve's new book, and in it he writes "tension creates odd body sensations, electrical snapping, cold waves, pins and needles, thumping, burning, dizziness, pressure, numbness, stiffness, buzzing, and stabbing." He has an entire chapter titled "Tension as the Cause of Pain."

15. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

So sorry you're in a rough place right now Marco.
    It's been my experience that sometimes my pain is worst right before a breakthrough.
    Here's to coming out the other side.

16. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Marco, Just want to let you know I'm thinking of you. I hope Gigi is right and you are very close to a breakthrough.

17. Boston Redsox

Thank you all for your thoughts it's been very tough I know this will make me stronger in the end

18. breakfree

breakfree Peer Supporter

Marco

I'm so sorry to hear your in such pain at the moment, to be honest I'm in the same boat as you ;o(

So this is what i'm doing ...
    1/ not talking or writing about the pain i.e. ignoring it as much as I possibly can (however this needs to be done in a 'safe way' so if the pain is reaching a 9/10 out 10 then I will tell my husband, so I'm not suffering in silence/a problem shared, is a problem halved)
    and also coming on the forum and reaching out (like you have today)
    2/ read, read and read Success Stories - they are a marvellous resource and normally calm me right down
    3/ REMEMBER the progress that you have made so far!
    Writing out a list (I think) is the BEST way of doing this, starting at the beginning of your tms journey, maybe try putting approximate dates by the side of each symptom your WERE able to get rid of - even IF the symptom eventually came back - YOU DID manage to get rid of it for however long , therefore YOU CAN do it again !
    4/ RE Read your list - and Congratulate Yourself on YOUR progress !
    5/ GO WITH the pain, dont try to fight it , ALLOW it, WELCOME it into your body (trust me, I KNOW how it hurts, and it might seem crazy but it works) I even 'speak to the pain' I say things like ''oh, Hello your back again, to REMIND me my tms work is not yet done'' perhaps I need to journal or meditate or do some more tms reading ....
    In a way Thank IT for 'stopping by' and 'reminding you'
    6/ PACE yourself, at the end of the day, you may have to go a little slower, JUST while the pain is out of control - but dont stop moving keep going, just pace and rest when you HAVE to.
    7/ STAY POSITIVE - this is VITAL Think of all the good in your life right now, and in the past
    i.e. you have healthy children, you and I are soooooo lucky !!
    or past positives i.e. I had a shit mother, but I had the most WONDERFUL Grandmother who loved me unconditionally ;o)
    is there any thing in your past like that ?
    Think of all good/happy things - if negatives pop into your mind - POP them back out again ;o)

I hope this helps, and I really hope you improve soon
    thinking of you x x

Simplicity and Forest like this.
  19. Boston Redsox

Thx you so much for sharing this is great advice and I appreciate deaply

breakfree likes this.
  20. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Great list, @breakfree! It's all about getting your "mental game" right. I hope that you'll take a moment to post a new thread with those ideas.

Heya, Marco, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. Think about what Steve O went through, and remember that he recovered. There have been some rough recoveries out there that all ended

Thinking about all of the things that you are going through and all of the changes that you are adjusting to, I'm going to bet that your unconscious is rip-roaring mad. No one likes change, particularly when that change is associated with loss, and there are few things larger than the loss of a marriage. I think about how @BruceMC sometimes talks about how his parents old house can trigger his TMS and I have to wonder if your new house is triggering yours.

My mother died when I was 9 and I don't think that I ever really grieved it adequately. Perhaps that's where my 18 years of TMS came from. I saw a therapist after she died and the therapist later told me that I was better at processing my anger than my sadness - in hindsight it sounds like something straight out of the psychology chapter of The Divided Mind.

Losing a marriage might be like losing a mother. It's possible that the repercussions of it might still be affecting you for a little while. Sometimes we've got so much going on - stresses from job, marriage and TMS simultaneously - that we just have to suppress all of it.

All I'm saying is that one of the most basic principles of TMS treatment is to think psychologically. When the pain comes up, we ask what the pain is signalling - what is it trying to tell us.

Do you think your pain might be trying to tell you something? If so, you should probably listen to it and pay attention to whatever needs attending to. Sometimes when big things happen, the fallout takes a while to work through, so that might be a first thing to look at. I'm sure that that isn't fun to hear, but if it's true, it might be something to hold onto because it means that there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel.

Simplicity, MWsunin12 and breakfree like this.