1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Increased Excersise

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, May 8, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Yesterday I decided to step up my excersise regiment. From mindful yoga to running sprints and more weights. I want my brain to know that my body is strong.
    But let me ask I always struggle with this in my mind by me facing my pain not only physiologically but physically pushing threw pain is this a form of resistance towards my pain?

Markus likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think it is resistance to the pain. Instead, by exercising even though you have pain, you are demonstrating to your unconscious brain that your body is fine and the pain is a faulty signal. The exercise is a strong statement that there is nothing wrong with your body and the pain will not distract you from doing whatever you want to do. To me, resistance comes in the form of our thoughts, such as "oh no, there is pain, this is horrible, there must be something terribly wrong, I better sit and rest, etc."

Good luck with your new exercise routine and I hope you are having fun with it!

Ollin, Lizzy, Markus and 2 others like this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Chapter 14 in Steve O book really some it up

Markus likes this.
  4. Markus

Markus Guest

I'm torn because the exercise made me feel much stronger. I would do crunches,stretching, pushups, situps, I especially targeted my core, glutes, legs!
    Mixing it with my tms work would really help. I don't see how resuming that routine could hurt.

Ollin and Lizzy like this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Mark, I think you are rigbt! We are healrhy and strong, we don't need to sit back and atrophy until there is no core left!

Boston, I have noticed, for myself, that exercise challenges my pain, but has always allowed me something to talk to my brain about and then showed improvement. I KNOW my foot, knees and hip are fine, so when they act up during or after I give my brain a mouthful. I have to admit that my pain isn't very bad anymore, and it moves around, so I have alot of evidence going for me. I like that exercise makes me feel strong. That is so hopeful. I am strong. I like it alot. :)

Markus likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Lizzy

my same sentiments, i feel its a way of telling my brain to f@#k off and nothing is wrong with me.

Markus and Lizzy like this.