1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

In need of Encouragement

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hippiesabotage, Jan 11, 2017.

1. hippiesabotage

hippiesabotage New Member

I first heard about TMS last week and have been devouring it ever since in addition to journaling. I began rock climbing again last week in spite of symptoms (Haven't climbed since August) and I noticed the symptoms morph to different areas of my body. I haven't climbed for three days and each day since then my pain has been getting worse. I was going to go climb after work today but I can't lift my right arm. This is the worst I have felt since August. I know this is TMS because I have had other causes ruled out by medical professionals (among other evidence). I started journaling two days ago so it may be why the pain has been worse. When I talk to other people around me about my symptoms, they continue to offer "physical" "solutions" to address my symptoms even though I have told these people that I am sure my symptoms are TMS-related. I also stopped taking Cortizone cream because I believe my skin rash issue to also be TMS-related. Even though this has been one of the crappiest days I've had since August, I can't help but kind of laugh at how much of a wreck I am: my face is red and dry, skin flakes are falling off, I can't move my right arm above my head, and I feel down in the dumps. I am proud of myself for not slipping myself an Ibuprofen, like I have in the past when symptoms flared, I am proud that I am writing on this forum, and I'm proud that I am no longer afraid of physical activity like I used to be. That being said, I've decided not to go climbing today. Anyway, I just needed to rant. Thanks.

AC45 likes this.
  2. AC45

AC45 Well known member

You sound very brave and determined to heal. I am glad you shared your story. You do not fear the physical activity. You sound like you are on your way to recovery - one day at a time. I hope you have a better day tomorow. -AC45

3. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Thanks so much for sharing in detail what you're dealing with. It's quite similar to some of my experiences, and it's really helpful for me to read about someone else going through it.
    A few thoughts:
    I've laughed at the ridiculous state I was in quite a few times. Humor can help & soothe, I think...

I've also tried to tell others around me that it's not physical. I haven't (yet) found family & friends to stay with me on that--they always go to physical solutions. That's one reason why I've been spending a good amount of time on this forum, for the strong support.

By journaling and really jumping into this stuff, you're setting yourself up well...heading towards solutions.

I wish you well.