1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

In my sleep

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tassie Devil, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil Peer Supporter

Day 10. I am still puzzled about the triggers for my TMS as my chronic knee pain began during sleep at night. It would wake me - often around midnight. I do understand now the stresses I was under at the time, but each night I would go to bed totally unconcerned about pain as I was (and continue to be) mostly pain-free during the day - in fact the second my foot touched the ground. Over the 13 months of "all the usual treatments and non-diagnoses" it is still with me, however towards the end of last year it dipped from a 6-7-8 on the scale to a 2-3-4. I have learned to cope with it at night and now I am doing the SEP use as many techniques as I can. The puzzle is WHAT triggers would I have in my sleep particularly as I never pay it any heed drifting off to sleep after having enjoyed some light reading. Loving learning so much about myself with so much help from this community.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS is created by the unconscious and the unconscious is active when we sleep, so symptoms can still occur. The triggers that occur during the day are being processed by the unconscious at night while we sleep. It's common for TMS to occur during sleep.

Tassie Devil likes this.
  3. Tassie Devil

Thanks Ellen. Yet the unconscious also comes into play during the day when I have much less pain.

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Tassie. I'm so glad to hear that you've had such a reduction in your pain level.
    @Ellen hit the nail on the head. Our subC can be very active while we sleep. It's less active during the day, while we're preoccupied with other things, so TMS pain can be felt at either time.
    I hope you're benefitting from the SEP. It was a lifesaver for me!

Tassie Devil likes this.
  5. Tassie Devil

Hi Gigi. That must account for all the weird and wonderful dreams I have too ! I'm sure the SEP is having lots of great benefits and I just love reading all the success stories from using this forum in its entirety. :)

6. Stella

Stella Well known member

Monday I had a conflict with a bridge partner. He continued to chew me out because I didn't do something he thought I should do. He would not admit he was wrong and continued to berate me. I couldn't journal Monday night. I got home late and went to bed.

At 2 in the morning I jumped out of bed with extreme cramps in my legs. I had to wake myself up, sit down and journal about how angry I was at him. ...and myself!

I am still replaying this over and over in my mind. I continue to journal. I have called him every name in the book. I have replayed"standing up to him in my mind". My body continues to react. I journal now. ..let it go. Next time I will be prepared.

But this is just part of life. It happens in every activity. I use my tools. I work the program.

Tassie Devil likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stella. Your bridge partner needs to take teh SEProgram to learn how to behave toward you. Hey, it's only a game. But it's no wonder you woke you angry. You went to bed angry. You should have told him off before you went to bed. Not on the phone but just yelling at him in the bathroom or somewhere if you didn't want to be overheard.

My relatives yelled at each other during poker games, and when I played canasta with my older sister she used to throw the cards at me.

Unless your bridge partner is personally important to you, stop playing bridge with him. He sounds like a baby to me. People who cause us stress are usually to be avoided.