1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

In Horrible Pain and Desperate to Change

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kirk M., May 31, 2017.

1. Kirk M.

Kirk M. Newcomer

Hello everyone. My name is Kirk M and I'm pretty new to this forum. I have a reasonable amount of knowledge about the TMS diagnosis and there's no question that it fits me perfectly. I've read Sarno's book and watched lots of success stories and have tried really hard to journal and follow some of Monte Hueftle's suggestions. But I'm in almost constant debilitating pain, especially when I try to write.

Unfortunately, that's what I do for a living-- I write. This isn't the only time I'm in pain, but it's definitely the best place to start, because it's where all of my terrible insecurities, fears, and anger come out the most. I am so desperate for some reasonable place to start, but I don't know what to do.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm going to truly lose my mind from all the pain. But when I try to stop the cognitive processes that are clearly creating the internal tension that CAUSES the pain, i go even crazier and the pain worsens. Please help.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kirk M., and welcome to the Forum and Wiki.

It seems you know this

which is great.

The process for most folks takes some time, more time than just reading a book or two, so be confident in your journey! My advice is be patient and engage in a program or process. Learn to observe your fear and pain as best you can, as you go. I had several physicians ready to operate to attempt to relieve my foot pain, and they were all wrong. Each person finds their own way. Keep inquiring, gently into "what might be going on down deep?" Many people have life changing experiences as they learn more about what makes them tick. This is in addition to the pain relief.

Here is Forest's summary of "instructions" gleaned from Dr. Sarno's work.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/section-1-introduction.4628/#post-28646 (Official Thread - Section 1 Introduction)

Find ways to not think about your pain, and fear of pain. Self-soothe in whatever way you are attracted to.

You probably know about the programs at the Wiki, which are free. I always recommend starting with the TMS Recovery program because it teaches a "stance" to take, and skills.

I wish you the best.

Andy B

Ellen likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Also, remember that it is less about "doing something" with or "fixing" your inner life, and more about "seeing it clearly and connecting it to the cause of the symptoms." Seeing the real cause, the symptoms lose their distraction value, and subside, with time. I say this because in our attempt to change the pain conditions we can evoke more inner struggle and perhaps not really see this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  4. Kirk M.

Kirk M. Newcomer

Hi Andy. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. It's already given a little more hope than I had last night and I'm very grateful. I am short on time at the moment, but I have already taken a peek at the tms recovery program and will continue later this afternoon. Forrest's "instructions" are new to me. Thank you again and I hope to post again soon.

Kirk