1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 I'm proud of...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Since starting this program, one thing I'm proud of personally is that I picked up my college diploma. I have been avoiding it for the past 3 years (graduated 3 years ago) because I wasn't happy with the major I picked. When I transferred to the university after a couple years of community college, I declared my original major. There was a rule at my university that incoming transfer students complete all of their pre-requisite classes within the first 2 quarters of transferring. I was given incorrect information when I applied for the transfer from a counselor who told me that I needed only one more math class. When I transferred, I was informed that I needed to complete two additional math classes, and that I needed to complete them ASAP. I hadn't taken a math class at that point in time in over a year and the math teachers I had at the community college were not very good. I knew that I was rusty at math, and it caused me a lot of anxiety. About halfway through the first quarter, I was struggling in math and my counselor basically told me that I wasn't going to be able to continue in the major I had declared. I remember basically begging them to give me more time to get these math classes completed. They informed me that I needed to declare a different major or leave the university. I was devastated. I liked the school a lot and didn't want to leave. So I begrudgedly chose a different major. I did really well in my new major, but was always angry/sad that my plan A didn't work out. Once I graduated, I didn't feel proud, even though I had worked very hard and done well at it. I've avoided picking up my diploma all this time. Last week, I was journaling as part of the SEP and I felt the need to accept this part of my past and be proud of my accomplishment. I'm the only one in my family to graduate from college. I realized that I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I was being so hard on myself for all those years when I should have been proud of that accomplishment. This week, I picked up my diploma and proudly displayed it on my wall.

- Matt

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Matt. I'm, glad you faced the TMS music and picked up your diploma and now feel proud of it. I also was the first in my family to go to college and graduate. My father didn't think I'd last the first day, but I fooled him.

Your college put you through a needless wringer, but you did what they asked and came out smelling like roses.

Congratulations on this achievement. TMS is really life-changing, in a positive way.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

What a wonderful story Matt. To be accepting of your journey, and even more, finally proud of your college achievements. This sounds like a profound healing for you. Like you're coming back home to a part of yourself. I really feel good reading your post.
    Andy B.