1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I'm not understanding a concept

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Dec 28, 2016.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I've been told by my doctor after much testing that the prickly nerve endings in my leg skin is stress/anxiety related. Dr. Sarno's books state that pain is from an oxygen deprivation, so why wouldn't exercise relieve my leg symptom? Surely exercise would bring oxygen to that area. It might temporarily relieve it, not totally sure. Is it that I am still dealing with emotional stuff?

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice to see you have a doctor that can connect the dots when it comes to the integration of mind and body.
    I do not understand why you think exercise would bring oxygen to that area.
    I have also read threads about other techniques that should increase the level of oxygen to certain area's, but to no avail.

Mermaid likes this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I'm not sure I understand. So, a change in attitude and beliefs bring oxygen to an area and not exercise? Is this the long and short of it? I keep reading about oxygen deprivation and its correlation to TMS.

4. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Exercise needs to be done for it's own sake not as a temporary pain reliever, otherwise your focus remains on your body, not your emotions which is the purpose of TMS, to distract.

tgirl likes this.
  5. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you. I do a lot of exercise for it's own sake.

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Our unconscious brain via the autonomic nervous system creates physical changes in the body that results in TMS symptoms. Physical interventions, including exercise, do not impact this because they don't address the underlying reason the brain is creating the symptoms, which are psychological. We must treat the underlying cause to get lasting relief.

sbmumford and tgirl like this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I kind of understood this from my readings but my situation seems quite stuck, even though my doctor thinks I'm the picture of health.

I really hope a nervous system can't be so 'fried' that it is beyond repair. That is a concern of mine.

8. Gigalos

Dear Tgirl,
    I have seen and read cases of people who got rid of a symptom after decades of suffering. Hang in there, even when you feel stuck at some moment in time, eventually you will find your way up again. Keep exercising for physical and mental benefits, but not for 'physically improving oxygen to certain area's'. Focus on the causes, not on the symptoms. Doubts and concerns do nothing more than sidetrack you from that. That said, don't beat yourself up about having them, just accept them and keep reminding yourself that they won't help you in any way.

tgirl likes this.
  9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks Gigalos for your encouraging words.

10. sbmumford

sbmumford Peer Supporter

There's an amusing interview with Sarno in which he castigates the interviewer who tries to convince him that his Yoga practice brings more oxygen to the practitioner's tissues:

Sarno clearly feels that no amount of exercise/breathing/Yoga etc will counteract what the brain does in terms of oxygen deprivation.

tgirl likes this.
  11. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you. I'm going to watch it.

12. Gigalos

Great interview! "No, stop stop stop stop stop, all wrong...."

13. hippiesabotage

hippiesabotage New Member

I'm new here but I would just like to point out that it appears that your unconscious is using fear to keep you from believing that your pain is a result of emotional repression. I believe that as much as your brain can "fry" your nervous system that it can heal your nervous system as well.

tgirl likes this.