1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new - where do I start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shosh, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Interestingly, I am in the process of getting off PPIs right now. For those who don't know, I have had amazing success recovering from back pain (sciatica), tennis elbow, chronic fatigue, and IBS all 100% thanks to Dr. Sarno. But I never seriously tried getting off PPIs and recovering from acid-refux until very recently. Partly because the PPIs worked so well and I was under the impression that they were a "relatively safe drug". Guess what?? They are not!! More and more studies are coming showing serious risks.

I am treating the PPIs and acid-reflux a little differently than my other TMS problems. With my back pain and tennis elbow, I went cold turkey off the pain pills. But I'm treating PPIs differently because getting off of them can cause very serious acid bounce back symptoms and it can last for many weeks. So I've been off PPIs a little over a week now. But I am taking low doses of Zantac and occasionally eating chewable anti-acids. I want a little help getting past the "acid bounce back" period. Eventually I intend to get off everything.

By-the-way, I weaned myself off the PPIs taking doses less and less frequently until I was 100% off. From my understanding, the approach I am describing here is generally what doctor's recommend.

I can say this. I have definitely seen an improvement! In the past, Zantac and chewable anti-acids did very little for my acid-reflux. I had to take high doses of PPIs to get any relief. But now the more conservative treatment is working great. Hopefully in the next month or two I will tell you I am off all medication. I'll keep you posted.

2. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Thank you Steve! I don't know why I couldn't find this one but am grateful for your assistance. It's inspiring to read stories like this!

3. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Great job Cap'n Spanky! I got off PPIs 6 months ago after a slow wean and off the H2 blocker (Zantac/Pepcid) 6 weeks ago and will NEVER take another one of those acid blocking pills. So grateful to be using TMS instead to deal with acid reflux. I need to retrain my brain to look at my heartburn/chest burn/ other miscellaneous gastro aches and pains differently. It's is empowering! Hopefully soon I'll be eating more foods and gaining back my weight. Mentally, I'm feeling so much freer already. Just debating if I should get a Heidelberg test to see if my stomach has too much or not enough acid so I can determine if I need some lemon juice or ACV with meals. But that might be the TMS trying to rope me back into it's clutches.....(I'm too new at this to really know I think).

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  4. TeriL

TeriL New Member

5. TeriL

TeriL New Member

Huckleberry,
    Did you get any rebound at first when you decided to eat what you wanted? Wondering if you can offer any specific advice for me? Do I need to grin and bear it? Here's my history:

I've tried to eat whatever I wanted recently and everything got worst. Really really bad and I'm not really sleeping because of the pain and chest throbbing. I've been to the hospital twice. Thinking there's something wrong with my heart but my heart checks out fine every time. I was able to get cured from 20 years of back pain by reading Dr Sarnos books but this time I'm having such troubles because I have to eat and every time I get pain. I have GERD or something causing upper gastric pain along with throbbing in my chest. The doctor calls it non-ulcer Pepsia only because my endoscopy came back very normal. Feels like my heart but tests reveled a healthy heart. I have been home pretty much laying around for 3 weeks and lost a lot of weight. I've picked up the pace with reading Sarno books but this is the toughest thing ever and all the acid reducers don't seem to do anything.
    Teri