1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I'm new here...I'm a health coach who has suffered decades of chronic pain!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sadiegirl, May 25, 2022.

1. Sadiegirl

Sadiegirl New Member

Just introducing myself here. I am 58 and basically very healthy, yet I have a long 30-year history of different sorts of chronic pain (back, neck, shoulderblade and now hips and legs) and 'TMS equivalents' such as TMJ, insomnia, IBS, depression, anxiety. With lots of hard work and lifestyle changes I had recovered from and/or learned to manage them all reasonably well until 2 years ago several days after a long difficult hike in Costa Rica with a very 'controversial' ex-boyfriend, and in the middle of a decision about a big cross-country relocation move, I developed very annoying 'buzzing' behind one knee which then migrated to my hip and became relentless and debilitatingly intense burning nerve-involved pain throughout that leg for more than 2 solid years now. The outside of my foot often feels numb and my sleep is pretty rough. I've been checked out enough to know that nothing is really wrong with me structurally (despite bulging discs and all those other scary terms from the MRI's). But it's really been a long miserable lonesome frightening haul with this current round of now-chronic pain. I am working with a TMS psychotherapist for a few sessions now, and using Open Focus tools and other ways of shifting away from obsessive thinking about the constantly shifting symptoms. I am feeling guardedly hopeful...and still fighting skepticism around whether I am capable of the level of shift required of me. I am grateful to find this group!

suchi likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

No shift is 'required' to recover. This is an education program.. the learning is how you heal. I am your same age and haven't shifted much....but I have been painfree for over twenty years. And I am not particularly "healthy".. I smoke, eat whatever I want and have consumed enough drugs and alcohol to kill several touring funk bands....
    I HAVE learned what causes pain.
    That
    that
    and that.

If you read Sarno's books and learn about yourself, your pain will go away. period

Sadiegirl likes this.
  3. mbo

mbo Well known member

Well said, baseball !!!
    No more no less.
    Modern neuroscience validates the intiutive findings by Dr. Sarno ... but also introduces "noise" and complexity to a direct and clear message. Beware! Avoid entering the maze!

Sadiegirl likes this.
  4. Sadiegirl

Sadiegirl New Member

5. Sadiegirl

Sadiegirl New Member

Thank you, these replies are helpful! There are other reasons why I prefer to eat and live in a healthy way and I am very happy with my path, but it has certainly been frustrating to have not yet found my whole way out of the recurring pain. The shift I believe I still need to make is around how I process my thoughts, what I do with them. I have read, and read again, all of Sarno's books, listened to his lectures, listened to numerous testimonials, worked a little bit with Dr. Howard Schubiner in Michigan years ago.....and it has not been enough. I am not giving up, I am sourcing more support, and I believe I may be starting to experience some progress now. Thanks for offering your experience, I am truly grateful.