1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I'm completely stuck with my TMS and need some help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

It’s been a couple weeks since my tms in the form of back pain and migraines have really reemerged and started flaring up again, and I’ve really just about had enough of it. I just don’t understand. Up until than, I have been doing pretty darn good at keeping pain symptoms under control. I understand generally the reasons for the pain coming back initially, I was under a great deal of stress and was very conflicted inside. Being isolated and not having friends or support was causing a lot of internal rage. but those problems have mostly been resolved by now. In fact, the last couple of days have been GREAT. I’m just now connecting with some great people, my social life is beginning to get better, and I do not feel so alone. I feel a lot more hope there. but the pain hasn’t lessoned at all. I’ve been VERY patient about it, knowing that this happens sometimes and that’s its just TMS it’s nothing to worry about and will go away soon. But. It. Just. Won’t. LEAVE. This just feels stupid and needless. My brain for some reason just will not give up it’s pain strategy, and I absolutely hate it for that. I’ve pretty much given up being calm about it a few days ago and have been chewing up my brain constantly telling it to cut the shit and quit giving me problems. I normally feel empowered against the TMS. But The longer and longer I go with no improvement, the more and more powerless I feel I am over it. I start feeling like a total victim again. I even catch myself sometimes panicking inside, thinking maybe this time I’ve really lost control of it and it’s just not going to end. It’s ridiculous thinking of course because I’ve faced this many many times by now and have gotten out of it many times. But you see no results over an extended period of time, it starts to get you down. Especially when you’ve been better at dealing with it in the past and that seems to no longer be the case. I’ve been doing meditations with no luck.
    I’m getting almost nonstop back pain throughout the day, followed by, oh goody, back pain AND migraines in the evening and night. Something is obviously really really wrong for my brain to see the need to serve me up two major pain symptoms at once.
    I’m finally starting to realize the reasons that some of the symptoms are taking place at particular times. I keep getting migraines mostly at night and there are some issues going on in my mind that are bothering me that seem routine for me at that particular time of day. I’m definitely feeling some guilt and am acknowledging it and trying to work on it. Even though socially speaking, I am making some great strides, it’s still really difficult for me to be outgoing and putting myself out there still is causing a great deal of anxiety for me. I worry a lot what others think of me and I’ve finally decided to change some of my thinking for the better and stop assuming things about other people and not take things personally. I can’t help but wonder if I’m simply repressing those thoughts.

Not sure what else I can do. I’m all out of ideas.

2. Jackhammer

Jackhammer New Member

Dang Davideus85,
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling stuck.
    We try so hard to find the one “it” so we can try harder to make it better.
    What we need to do is calm down our nervous system.
    Try taking long deep controlled breaths when you are spinning up in your head.
    It works for me, and there are plenty of other tips to calm down out there as well.

In his book “Back in Control” Dr David Hanscom ( get the second addition) says that sitting down and writing your thoughts on paper for 10 to 30 minutes once or twice a day can help calm things down.
    You then rip them up without reading them.
    I shred mine.
    Write/rip/repeat.
    Easy!
    Don’t overthink it!

I can highly recommend the book, and all the books that he recommends during the reading that I have read so far have been very helpful.

My best to you and everyone here.

Ellen likes this.
  3. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I feel your frustration. I like @Jackhammer 's suggestion. I need to do the same. My situation isn't exactly the same as yours, but I've been stuck for a long time. I made huge strides with a combo of mindbody myofascial release and reading Sarno and gang many years ago, but I never got my pain to go away completely (since its onset in 2005). So I can't really give advice, but I can commiserate. But at least my pain has stayed at moderate levels and I haven't really had it flare up too badly. But still, I believe I could become pain free if my mindbody would only allow it to happen. It's very frustrating. Just know you've done it before and therefore you can do it again! Best of luck!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018