1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ignoring 3 doctors recommendations for nerve ablations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kerrj74, Feb 6, 2018.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I love César Milan :). We can extrapolate much wisdom from his work with our furry friends, mostly that we need to shift from being *dog lovers* who ironically are creating harm to becoming *pack leaders* who intentionally create harmony. We can marshall those same forces to harness our minds and pain-bodies (a'la Eckhart Tolle).

César Milan gently and masterfully creates a state of calm submission in the dogs and as @andy64tms says surrender and receptivity are powerfully healing states.

Plum x

Lizzy, andy64tms and Lainey like this.
  2. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Andy,
    thank you for re=posting this I hadn't seen it before! This image of your experience with mindfulness--or whatever we choose to call it has inspired me to take a break--- a REAL break. Since beginning my TMS journey I have been "doing the program" including journalling and meditating-- and practicing mindfulness-- but I have not escaped my stress--or maybe better said-- I haven't abandoned my stress-- for any length of time. And my symptoms persist. Of course--life is stressful-- but before today ends I am going to have a plan for "sitting on a bench" and letting my "brain get soggy." I know this is an important concept for healing for me-- I can just tell.

Kerrj74 and andy64tms like this.
  3. Kerrj74

Kerrj74 Well known member

I like that iwire! I may have to try that also. I think I have been trying too hard and just need to let go for a while.

Click#7, iwire and andy64tms like this.
  4. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi Kerry, Iwire, Plum,

Note that is was not brain power that got me to that place of tranquility in “Doing Absolutely Nothing”, but body weakness. I was exhausted from two weeks of thrilling OCD windsurfing. The first day of rest set the precedence for those that followed. Since I am like you always on the go type A-T , this was a totally new experience that I have yet to repeat.

Try it Kerry and Iwire, I bet even sitting in a room doing nothing for even an hour is difficult, it is for me! Gradually since 2011 in retirement, I have made major changes with my habits. I have successfully slowed down; I now do house repairs with less aggression, less frustration, more planning and take rests: “Doing Absolutely Nothing”. It’s an ongoing process that is paying off.

I recommend the ocean or country side, no cell phones :(, no books.

Good luck :)

Kerrj74 and iwire like this.
  5. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Thanks andy64... There IS nothing quite as satisfying as the rest that comes from exhaustion after physical activity-- I remember it mostly from my childhood-- isn't that awful? I have taken a lot of breaks the last couple of days-- but haven't managed the 'completely do nothing' yet. I have a driveway to clear of 12 inches of snow so (although not the same as OCD windsufing ) perhaps after that is done I will try-- with no distractions--to totally rest. My distractions are many......... I did come up with a plan yesterday-- for a bigger "retreat" for myself... but that has to fit in to my work vacation schedule-- so is a ways out-- but it will take me away from civilization for several days-- can't wait!

andy64tms and Kerrj74 like this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Luckily I am a natural type B type and the more I recover this inherent tendency the better and more beautiful life becomes. I guess becoming a carer so young and so unexpectededly knocked the wind out of my sails. I sometimes wonder whether we are all more inclined towards type B but sufficient life-mauling leads to tension leads to the problems that brings and so it goes. Just like it does with doggies.
    :)

andy64tms likes this.
  7. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Very interesting Plum! I am coming to think that my type A tendency was learned early in my life when I got serious validation for being responsible, motivated, yada yada yada.... and as my inherent "people pleasing personality" would have it-- I have become very good at "type A" and this might actually be the crux of my problem. It is in conflict with the REAL me-- who resonates with SLOW........PRESENT..............CONNECTED.... but is only just learning how to do any of those things...and adjust my lifestyle. The irony of it all is that in my work life-- I am with families of children struggling every day--and for them I am slow, present and connected----thank you for your insights-- I learn something every single time you post.

Lainey, andy64tms and plum like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

...and this very conflict is the beating heart of TMS. It is where we pitch our real selves against our learned selves, our primal needs against civilised demands.

Are you also more naturally a sensual creature? Someone who delights in the warm sun on your skin? The delicious newness of fresh bed linen? The comfort of candlelight?

Life is so full of moments of heart-breaking beauty yet we are taught to shun them. There may be much healing fruit for you in tuning deeply and profoundly back into who you are.

It's both funny and sad that one of the most uptight people I have ever known is also one of the most sensual. He spent decades throttling the life out of his own beauty with a collar and tie, a stuffy and superior approach to life and an adherence to responsibility that makes my eyes water. And yet beneath it all I know he is truly wild and passionate and artistic. He is terribly ill now and in his fragility he concedes that he should have let himself out.

andy64tms and Kerrj74 like this.
  9. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Dear, Dear Plum....
    yes.......yes........and yes........ and the relief of hearing one hold this ideal in the midst of a cultural chaos is like a hand held out for rescue while battling against a raging current. Thank you....again. Your friend's story is a poignant reminder of why this matters--- may we all be true to ourselves-- find our joy---create relationships that matter-- and float through an amazing life that we actually can see, feel, smell, taste and love......

10. Jam

Jam Newcomer

Dear Kerrj74,
    I felt very sad for you after reading your book review on Amazon on 'healing back pain.' I felt compelled to find you online and was happy to see you on this forum, which I joined only to send you this message. If you haven't already, please read a book titled 'Back Mechanic' by Dr Stuart Mcgill who spent over 30 years researchimg back pain, injury and cure at his lab in the University of Waterloo. It will be quite contrary to the theory of TMS and other approached you have tried and, considering you have had no luck with any of that, it might be a good idea to try a different approach. As an engineer, I expect you will find his advise logical and sound and really quite simple. At the very least, it won't hurt just to read it. I do hope this message gets to you God willing and that you finally find relief from your suffering.

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hm. Well, @Kerrj74 hasn't been active since 2018, but now that this ancient thread has been revived, of course I just had to look up this book. Wow - at $35 or so it is expensive! The Kindle version is the same (which at least one review said had formatting problems). There are plenty of five-star reviews, but this excerpt from a four-start review really caught my eye:

"Much of the message herein is identifying problems, isolating them, and developing means to work around them. The ideology is spine preservation through minimizing non-essential movement and capitalizing on the benefits of rigidity/stiffness. He wants to turn crippled people into strong pillars. It is a unique and effective strategy if you can accept the premise: You will not move like you used to. You will have limitations and your minimal pain/pain-free status will be dependent on diligent maintenance.
    If you can accept that, you're likely to find a way to reduce your pain in this book.
    TL/DR: This book helps you identify your problem, and teaches you how to get out of or prevent pain by becoming stiff, and how to move about as a stiff person. It is a necessary alternative for those who find themselves unable to address their back problems by other means, and it is in some cases an alternative to surgery (fusing discs), which simply forces stiffness. But supplementing surgery requires discipline, accuracy of diagnosis, and an understanding of the fault.
    What's missing is an explanation of why flexibility works for some, and why an uninjured person should pursue stiffness v. flexibility."
    Sounds, uh... ugh.

Okay, for anyone wanting to pursue a physical routine with a much more constructive and positive premise - at about one third of the price - many years ago during an acute lower back seizure, my PT wasn't able to see me right away but he told me to immediately order the Robin McKenzie book "Treat Your Own Back". He is (was?) an Australian chiropractor, and I believe that he ended up selling a line of pain relief props which is not great, but I have to say that this little book fixed me up very quickly. The book basically teaches three levels of Cobra for immediate pain relief and long-term maintenance, which is easy for anyone, especially anyone familiar with yoga. MORE IMPORTANTLY, he is also expecting the reader to consider two mindfulness ideas: 1) to not fear doing what may seem like counter-intuitive exercises when you are in extreme pain (small steps!) and 2) to reject any belief or assumption that an episode of extreme back pain means that you are going to be subjected to a lifetime of back pain - in other words, let go of negative expectations and visualize a positive outcome. 100% mindbody, people, and also worth considering, especially for the price. I saw several used copies on Amazon for under $2 (before S&H).

12. CaptivaLady

CaptivaLady Peer Supporter

Oh boy! Speaking from experience- got the book, got the CD. Not the way out (pun intended). As a matter of fact, Stu led me to Sarno via Charlie Johnson PT’s YouTube channel. I was so desperate for a physical solution, but the Back Mechanic method wasn’t working. So I was trying to find more and more and more technique videos. I landed on Charlie’s channel and the rest is history.

My story is here in this forum somewhere, but reposted to substack. I thought I might blog but never posted again lol!

https://adropinthebucket.substack.com/p/origin-story-sort-of (Origin Story (sort of))

TL;DR- McGill is a smart dude and for an elite athlete, his methods might move the needle for performance. BUT, his approach is not for TMS. If I works for a TMS’er, it’s placebo and that person doesn’t (yet) know they have TMS.

JanAtheCPA likes this.