1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Parts Therapy IFS: Anyone interested in this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lelagy, Jul 8, 2014.

1. lelagy

lelagy Newcomer

Hi, I wonder if there is anyone on this forum interested in the following:

I don't know if this is faithful to the IFS model, but my experience is that I can "tap into" my Self qualities by imagining that I'm embodying a character, like for example Barboille from the Barbapapa children's books, or Totoro from the Miyazaki movies. For me, these characters embody qualities like playfulness, stability and "core needs met", to speak with the words of Rick Hanson. This thing that I'm experimenting with is actually quite connected to exercises described in Rick Hanson's Hardwiring Happiness, or Linda Graham's book about resilience, Bouncing back, and somatic trauma therapy. But I want to put more focus on "embodied character work" to try to make this Self part of me (my terminology might be somewhat confused) more prominent. Things I want to experiment with are for example, how does this character position its body in space, how would it relate to this or that situation, what facial expression does it have etc. A bit like role play. So I wonder if there is anyone interested in exploring this with me?

PS. By the way, I don't have TMS but another pain syndrome, I hope it's ok anyway to post here. Your IFS forum was one of the more active I could find.

Take care, Maja

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello, Maja. I'm glad you posted here. I am too busy with TMS projects to join you in character imagining,
    but that sounds like a potentially good thing to do. It could lead to better self-understanding and self-compassion.

I hope you find someone to go on this role play journey and will be interested to know about your progress.

3. lelagy

lelagy Newcomer

Thank you!