1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

if you fear the pain, it will stick around. if you dont fear it it will naturally go away .....

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by shmps, Feb 5, 2015.

1. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

3 weeks back before starting knowing about TMS, I have had neck,shoulder,wrist,thumb pain for last 10 months.

I had stopped working out because of the pain. I started working out last week and have done light exercises at home only twice ...

I have new pain and one day its intense the next day its lessens..Its lower back pain and importantly the shoulder neck arm thumb pain has reduced.

Now its about facing the fear, should i continue with my plans to workout or should i stop..i don't want to stop as that will give my own self a message of fear.

I have worked out for last 8 years and this kind of pain that has lasted for several days cannot be from workout but my mind is trying to scare me and keep me distracted by giving me a new symptom to worry about.

Whats should i do ?

2. Lala

Lala Well known member

Keep working out!!!! Have you read Steven Ray Ozanich's THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION? If not you should. You can read his personal story about how his pain moved around for year (mostly in his back, but moved to his feet, hands and other ailments)...You are dealing with the symptom imperative...the symptoms move around in an attempt to try to keep you riveted on your body. There is also something called the extinction burst...which basically means when you are on the verge of an unconscious breakthrough (awareness of the anger/rage within, feeling your feelings etc.) your mind will amp up the intensity of the pain in yet another attempt to thwart your healing. I highly recommend Steve's book. It has been my TMS bible. I think you will relate to his personal story and all his advice.

He talks a lot about exercising, getting fit and keeping your body strong. It boosts self-esteem, pumps all sorts of good hormones/chemicals throughout your body, it soothes some of the rage within in and tells the unconscious that you are not buying into the fallacy that your body is weak and broken.

Good luck.
    Lara

IrishSceptic and shmps like this.
  3. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks Lara !!!