1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

If you are worried about running hurting your knees/ankles/feet....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by grapefruit, Feb 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. grapefruit

grapefruit Peer Supporter

Veteran healer here, just wanting to share some encouragement (and truth!). I've been pain-free for several years and am loving living life and pushing my body to new limits. My interest in mind-body books led me to these two awesome books and I just had to share. If you're worried about running being bad for you, you need to read these books about people running crazy distances (think 100+ miles) and never getting injured, even in sandals, barefoot, no training or stretching, etc - basically ignoring the "medical" advice of top sports injury "experts." In fact, Born to Run argues pretty persuasively that running is one of the top healthiest things you can do. Awesome reads! There is really something about running that is so healthy not just for body but your mind (and emotions) too, and it's an amazing way to convince your mind that you body is healthy and strong. When I was healing from my back pain, I ran away my fears (it took me awhile to get the point where I could run from being bed-bound). Running really is such an awesome activity. Who says you can't run? You? (You're brain is already lying to you about your body...remember?) The doctors? (They are operating on a false premise regarding the body....) I dare you to try running.

Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds - David Goggins

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall

Hopeful22, TG957, Dorado and 2 others like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

grapefruit likes this.
  3. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

I'm a runner as well and I liked those books too. I've also been getting into ultrarunning documentaries (I'm not an ultrarunner and will never be, I just watch it on tv!) but I find them really inspirational and the lessons apply directly to TMS, at least for me. It's all about resilience, having a positive attitude, learning to deal with pain using your mind, and overcoming adversity. You might like them as well. My favorites are "Unbreakable" about the Western States 100 mile race, and "Found on 49" the Story of Jim Walmsley. Both are free on youtube. Even for non-runners I think they are relatable and inspiring.

backhand, grapefruit and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

I´m so impressed with seeing you post in so many threads and being so encouraging. @JanAtheCPA

@grapefruit I have recently rediscovered the beauty of running again. Since it caused pain for me before I stopped. Also, I stopped measuring my times and just started to increase distance instead. That made it much more joyful.

grapefruit and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to be a runner and jogger, and have started getting back into it again as well. I remember wearing a knee brace from Amazon when I was maybe 23 or 24? Obviously was TMS/the mind-body connection when I look back on it.

Thank you for sharing! There truly is nothing like a runner’s high.

grapefruit and Hedger like this.
  6. grapefruit

grapefruit Peer Supporter

Thank you for the recs, I am going to look these up. I too have become so fascinated by ultrarunning. Something about people pushing their bodies to unbelievable limits, rejecting all that the experts say. And the emphasis on guts, emotions, inspiration.... Invoking those emotions helped me heal.

7. Reemerge

Reemerge Newcomer

I just told my husband last night one of the things I would love to do is run again. He also has David Goggins book on his nightstand. Guess I know my next book to read now!

grapefruit likes this.