1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 36 If there is anything in my life I feel like I can’t control?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DontStopBelieving, Jul 3, 2017.

1. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

Gosh, everything. My brain just thought of at least 10 things: people, family, work, thoughts, symptoms, TMS, doctor, my brain that cannot stop thinking, fear, me. This made me stop, it is me actually that I would like to control the most, my reactions, goofiness, too much talking when being nervous, laziness... All the things that I don't like about myself, the imperfections. And I thought I was recovering from TMS, this made me think there is still so much to learn and the biggest thing is accepting myself for who I am. I have been reading Brene Brown's book: The Road to Imperfections. She talks about the way we talk to ourselves and says that we would never talk like that to the loved ones. It's true. I would never say to my husband: 'you are so stupid for saying this' or 'what and idiot look at the mistake you've done', but I do it to myself and sometimes shake my head when this kind of thoughts come up, as to shake off the shame they cause. I would like to learn to accept myself, how do you do that?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that learning to accept ourselves as we are, warts and all, is the secret to being a happy and healthy person. I hope the SEProgram has been helping you. You may have to continue journaling to stop bullying yourself and accept that you are imperfect and a person in progress.

3. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

Hi Walt, the program has been helping me alongside some books that I have been reading but I feel like I'm stuck at a certain level of TMS, I improved from the first symptoms massively but I still have some symptoms lingering around and coming and going. I don't know what is it that I am not doing right or maybe there is something that I should be doing but don't. Maybe the fact that I haven't accepted some parts of myself and dealt with some of the issues might be the problem.