1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

If the pain move or come and go it's TMS ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ariel233, Sep 7, 2020.

1. ariel233

ariel233 New Member

Hey,

I need to know something for sure, there is type of REAL PHYSICAL pains or disorders that the pain could come and go (not by a movement of the effected body part, just suddenly I wake up with it) or it means it's TMS for sure ?

I had shingles in my neck 6 months ago, and for a little bit more than a month ago (after 4 months I was pain free) I started feel the pain return to my arm and shoulder than disappear and in the days it disappear I have one side headache that could move sometimes to the other side but generally in one side, and today for example the headache disappeared completely and now I feel again the neck/arm/shoulder pain.
    Sounds like TMS ?

I just curious to know if it was real nerve damage (because of the shingles) it would come and go because if the nerves damaged to pain should be there nonstop right ?

* I have MRI test next week but the doc said the even if I have nerve damage maybe it will not show it on the MRI, if so it's really nerve damage?
    so how can I be sure it's not due the shingles ?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Pain that comes and goes, moves around, waxes and wanes, shifts around the body is very typically TMS...meaning neural circuit pain stemming from the brain. I'm not versed in shingles but always thought that was a viral condition? In any case I'm quite sure you don't have actual "damage" to the nerves, but rather neuropathic pain and symptoms. I suffered from horrible nerve pain with CRPS and got better but maybe another member could chime in about shingles. From what I know it's something that lies dormant but can be triggered by stress.