1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

If disc herniation is TMS, how could you explain that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mutombo, Jul 3, 2018.

1. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Hello all.

Sometimes I resonate with Sarno method, but today I've seen something different.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11795720 (Bow hunter stroke caused by cervical disc herniation. Case report. - PubMed - NCBI)

"Bow hunter stroke, which is characterized by transient vertebrobasilar ischemia brought on by head turning, is an unusual condition usually caused by structural abnormalities at the craniocervical junction. The authors present a case in which compression of the left vertebral artery (VA) at the C4-5 level was caused by a laterally herniated intervertebral disc. A 56-year-old man presented with a 6-month history of dizziness and syncope when he turned his head 45 degrees or more to the left. Transcranial Doppler (TCD) ultrasonography demonstrated decreased blood flow through the left VA, and angiography revealed an occlusion of the left VA at the C4-5 level, both when the patient turned his head to the left. Via an anterior cervical approach, the VA canal was unroofed through the transverse foramina to decompress the left VA at C4-5; intraoperatively, the left VA was found to be compressed by a laterally herniated cervical disc fragment. To the best of the authors' knowledge this is the first report of a laterally herniated cervical disc causing bow hunter stroke. The use of TCD may be of value in the diagnosis and management of the disorder, and herniated cervical disc must be included in the roster of potential causes for this rare disease."

If disc herniation doesn't make any harm, what is that? How can you explain this situation?

2. dacello

dacello New Member

In my humble opinion, this case is more in line with "freak accident" category rather than an actual problem with Dr. Sarno's theory. If you dig hard enough, you will always find unusual things: people with extra toes, hernias causing strokes, people hit by lighting, etc.
    Note the careful wording of the article: "unusual condition usually caused by...", "The authors present a case...", "To the best of authors' knowledge this is the first report..."
    So, very very unlikely to be the norm. Also it all depends on how you look at something: an ingrown nail is a structural abnormality, causing pain and discomfort.

3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I agree with dacello. The disease is rare and this might be the only time a disc herniation has caused it. The person was losing consciousness. Dr. Sarno would have investigated the medical reason behind that I’m sure.

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno would agree, this situation was not TMS. The point isn’t that disc herniation can never cause real physical symptoms, just that it does very rarely. Discs usually herniate in a way that causes no harm. This is a one time case, so incredibly rare. Try not to think in black and white about these things, know that there is always an exception to the rule. ( This is where seeing a doctor comes on when you have scary symptoms.). If you read it they also weren’t even totally sure the disc caused the stroke! Stroke is never TMS, I work in the field of neuro rehab and can tell you more about this. there’s a world of difference between a neurological event and TMS.

EileenS likes this.