1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Id, Ego and super-ego

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Aug 12, 2017.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

Hello guys! So i bought "The Great Pain Deception" by Steve Ozanich and I'm stuck at chapter two due to my english :(. I'm trying my best to understand this chapter, but it doesn't "click". Steve talks about the healing discoveries of Freud and Jung that are ego based. all i understood about this chapter is that ID is someone who is a child and acts like a child while super ego is the one who does what people wants him/she to do? to anyone who read this book or knows anything about id, ego and super ego and can relate it to TMS I would appreciate the help of understanding it better. I know "healing back pain" mentions this part about ego, but not too deep like Steve and I wish to understand it further so I can continue reading.

2. David88

David88 Well known member

As I understand it, the id, ego, and superego are part of everyone's mental make-up. The id is your inner child, which feels what it feels and wants what it wants and doesn't care about anything else. The superego is your internalized parent, your sense of right and wrong and responsibility to others. The ego is your conscious sense of self. The id and superego are only partly conscious.
    TMS has been described as "Too Much Superego" -- too much sense of responsibility, at the expense of your inner needs. Sarno calls it 'goodism'.
    Does that help?

Ellen likes this.